Premed 101 Forums

I was freaked out about the limited time we get off too, but then I realised that with the limited number of lecture hours we have per week up until clerkship, we are usually lucky enough to get about a day off each week...I know it's not the same as having it all at once for a summer vacation, but it is pretty nice regardless!

Sample schedule

Monday: lecture 9-11, tutorial 1-4

Tuesday: professional competencies, 9-12, clinical skills 6-9.

Wednesday: anatomy (some weeks) 1-3

Thursday: tutorial, 4-7

Friday: lecture 9-12

As you can see, there's a lot of time where you don't have to be anywhere in particular. Anatomy Wednesdays occur once every three weeks, so you usually get that day to do other stuff (study, electives, squash, etc...) Just saying that not having a summer off might not be as intense as it sounds.

I can tell you that it really doesn't feel that bad. During pre-clerkship you have a lot of self-directed time so it doesn't feel like too much of a grind. In between MFs there are 'integration weeks' which is that awkward time where you've already written the CAE for that MF but there are still 'officially' tutorials. Unofficially many people spend that time in Cuba.

In clerkship you have a lot of control over the intensity of your elective time. You can choose interesting electives which don't have a lot of students come through and they don't expect you to take call, and you often get 'reading' time if you do electives with one specific doctor when that doctor is golfing/in meetings etc.

During core rotations there will be a lot of variation in the demands on your time. Yes, 1-in-4 internal medicine and surgery is grueling but in you have family medicine during the summer and your doctor works 3.5 days a week, so do you. It all tends to even out and it's over before you know it.

Archived