Premed 101 Forums

semester hours problem 3 vs 4 semester hours

hi guys

according to amcas verification, my school's 0.5 credit turned into 3 semester hours and 1.0 credit turned into 6 semester hours regardless of whether it was "with lab" or not.

the problem is some schools i have applied want specifically "8 semester hours" of general biology/ orgo/ general chem... (i have 6 hours of each only according to amcas)

Would this potentially a problem for admission?

hi guys

according to amcas verification, my school's 0.5 credit turned into 3 semester hours and 1.0 credit turned into 6 semester hours regardless of whether it was "with lab" or not.

the problem is some schools i have applied want specifically "8 semester hours" of general biology/ orgo/ general chem... (i have 6 hours of each only according to amcas)

I had the same problem and emailed AMCAS, I'm calling them tomorrow morning just to see what they say and will let you know joe!

hi guys

I had the same issue last year when I applied, however it was NOT a problem at any of the schools. The schools understand that Canadian universities have a different credit system than US schools.

Here is a reply I received from DMS when I contacted them:

"Our requirements are for one full-year OR 8 semester hours. As long as you have completed the full-year sequence at your university in the premedical disciplines (half-year for calculus), you meet the requirement, no matter how many hours AMCAS assigns to the courses. We see 6 hours for a full year from Canadian students all the time--not to worry, it is absolutely common."

I had the same issue last year when I applied, however it was NOT a problem at any of the schools. The schools understand that Canadian universities have a different credit system than US schools.

Here is a reply I received from DMS when I contacted them:

"Our requirements are for one full-year OR 8 semester hours. As long as you have completed the full-year sequence at your university in the premedical disciplines (half-year for calculus), you meet the requirement, no matter how many hours AMCAS assigns to the courses. We see 6 hours for a full year from Canadian students all the time--not to worry, it is absolutely common."

thank you saukalra!

all your inputs are really reassuring for this anxious applicant lol!!!

thank you saukalra!

all your inputs are really reassuring for this anxious applicant lol!!!

Hi Joe... so the AMCAS rep I talked to wasn't very helpful... he just said that they convert it according to school and 1.0 = 6 credit hours but I filed a request and when they get to it in 3-5 business days, I will let you know if they changed it.

I did interview at Dartmouth last year and didn't find it as a problem, I'm just hoping other schools recognize this with international students, so I think we're okay for the time being!

AMCAS does what AMCAS does, every school will understand if you are a Canadian and your courses with labs are 6 not 8 credits. Make a note of it to be sure. But put down 6 and you're perfectly fine.

source: my application experience.

AMCAS does what AMCAS does, every school will understand if you are a Canadian and your courses with labs are 6 not 8 credits. Make a note of it to be sure. But put down 6 and you're perfectly fine.

source: my application experience.

AMCAS got back to me, as long as you checked off "lab", most schools realize that the Canadian system is different. If they ask you to list out your courses be sure to say "with a lab". Otherwise they said they are aware of the conversion difference :)

Did anyone get their credits changed to 4 for courses with lab, as opposed to 3? My cGPA just happens to be higher if courses with lab are counted as 4 credits.

I put in that request but unless your transcript/school specifically gives a separate credit for lab courses, they will not assign you 4.0 or 8.0 credits, that's why they explained to me that they realize the Canadian grading system is different and American schools recognize this too. So as far as I know, they don't do it.

Archived