Premed 101 Forums

VR - a month

reation

Hey everyone,

Just need a bit of encouragement and motivation.. I'm going to write the MCAT in September. Right now, I really need to boost my VR score, drastically. Due to certain reasons, I was not able to study much for VR but I have got what seems like a months time to bring my score up. I struggle mainly with timing (too slow).

What do you think will be the best way for me to improve my score in a month? Is that possible?

Hey everyone,

Just need a bit of encouragement and motivation.. I'm going to write the MCAT in September. Right now, I really need to boost my VR score, drastically. Due to certain reasons, I was not able to study much for VR but I have got what seems like a months time to bring my score up. I struggle mainly with timing (too slow).

What do you think will be the best way for me to improve my score in a month? Is that possible?

I would read examkrackers method if you haven't for timing. If you only have a month I would do an mcat, then the next day review it and then another mcat, the review it etc. You are going to gain most of your skill on the day you are reviewing the previous day's test. To review I read a passage untimed, write out the main idea and try to answer the questions again based on my written main idea (don't do this on the timed test). Then I see which ones I improved on and why and figure out where I'm going wrong on the one's I still got wrong.

Be very active, learn the test on the review days. Figure out what you are constantly doing wrong. Should take a couple hours or so per test. Make sure you all passages even if you only got 1 wrong. It'll only help you.

For timing you need to answer the questions without going back to the passage as much as possible. You are going back to the passage way to much. Read, get main Idea in head and try to answer the questions. You have to just narrow answers guess and be confident if you're running out of time. Fix you time before anything else by forcing yourself to make educated guesses when you feel a constant need to look at the passage.

Also if your score is not where you want it on the AAMC's the week before the test I wouldn't take the test. Its just a loss of a bit of money and time IF you need. Don't stress.

I'm writing mine in a month. Everything I said here is NOT absolute, its just what I've found so far but I'm no guru.

Good luck!

Archived