Premed 101 Forums

Another Chances Thread

Hi Guys

I've been hovering these forums for a while now and I just want some feedback on my position.

I have a 3.78 cGPA 3.81 sCGPA.

I wrote the mcat last year and got a 31O (12/8/11). I recently rewrote it and got 30P (12/6/12).

Decent ECS: 300+ hours of hospital volunteer. Community volunteer. Sports. Internationally volunteered. Research. Etc... FEW leadership roles though.

I was thinking of mostly 2nd tier schools and maybe give a few first tier schools a shot but I am now a bit worried about my recent drop in my mcat score since it might reflect poorly about my ability.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

If you really want a shot, you have to write the MCAT again. 12 PS and 12 BS are amazing scores and I envy you for them. However, the 6 VR is going to leave a bad taste in any admission committees mouth. There are so many applicants and because of that, the committee looks for reasons to reject rather than reasons to accept. What I learned about US interview invites at lower tier schools is that you get them for one of three reasons:

1) You have high stats. (your personal statement/ECs are disregarded for the most part)

2) You have decent stats. and a great personal statement/ECs.

3) Affirmative action/legacy/early decision applicant/in-state.

I am glad that your GPA is great, but to really have a shot anywhere in the US (MD) or Canada, you have to bring up that VR. If I were you, I would be preparing for a September MCAT right now (seats always open up closer to the date). My first MCAT was similar to yours, so I focused on the VR for the second instead of the sciences and brought it up to 11 from an 8.

Good luck.

Your MCAT score might fly for DO schools. But for MD schools, you should not have any sections below an 8. IF you can get ur verbal up to a 9. You should stand a good shot at MD schools. But its getting late in the application season so you may wanna think about next year instead.

why would u re-write? makes no sense..

id still apply but uve pretty much f-ed up ur chances

some MDs take the best of each section...at the same time..they will take the best of each section for other candidates...too

and ur not an american...

id still apply and add like ccom aazcom and nova

Archived