Premed 101 Forums

Public vs. Private American medical schools

mfouts

Hey everybody,

I'm currently starting my AMCAS application and am having trouble finding out which schools in the US are canadian friendly, as well as which ones are Public vs. Private. To my understanding, international students should only, or at least heavily favor private, apply to private schools as they are unlikely to get into public schools.

I was thinking we could get a list going of the public vs. private american medical schools going here to help everyone in their applications.

Currently i've created a list of the following that i'd like to narrow down:

-Boston University

-Florida state (i'm assuming this is public given the name, but haven't verified)

-Michigan state (same as florida comment)

-St. Louis

-Arizona - Phoenix

-Arizona - Tuscon

-UC San Francisco

-UCSF

-Connecticut

-Georgetown

-George Washington

-Illinois

-Kentucky

-Maryland

-U Washington

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everybody,

I'm currently starting my AMCAS application and am having trouble finding out which schools in the US are canadian friendly, as well as which ones are Public vs. Private. To my understanding, international students should only, or at least heavily favor private, apply to private schools as they are unlikely to get into public schools.

I was thinking we could get a list going of the public vs. private american medical schools going here to help everyone in their applications.

Currently i've created a list of the following that i'd like to narrow down:

-Boston University

-Florida state (i'm assuming this is public given the name, but haven't verified)

-Michigan state (same as florida comment)

-St. Louis

-Arizona - Phoenix

-Arizona - Tuscon

-UC San Francisco

-UCSF

-Connecticut

-Georgetown

-George Washington

-Illinois

-Kentucky

-Maryland

-U Washington

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

I think alot of those aren't Canadian friendly. Offhand, I am pretty sure U Washington (but not WashU), Florida, and maybe Arizona don't accept Canadians. UCSF is also very hard to get into as a Canadian. Boston, GWU, Georgetown, and Kentucky I know are good schools to apply to as a Canadian. Check out the thread on here that shows where people got acceptances recently, and base your list on that.

Also, try to get AMCAS submitted asap, as you are already a bit late in the cycle.

K thanks for your input. Follow up question, if i submit my application by say next friday (August 17th) that wouldn't be too bad would it? I think i could have it done by then but i want to make sure that everything is well done and not just half ass it, so to speak. Further, the LOE's don't have to be completed by the Referee before you send out your applications, correct (kind of like the transcripts) ?

Thanks !

Well you won't be verified until mid-september most likely, at which point the majority of schools will have given out alot of interviews already. It's not the end of the world, but your chances are defintely smaller than if you submitted in June.

You don't need to have your LOEs for verification, however AMCAS needs all your transcripts for the verification proess. so get them sent asap.

Archived