Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Preclinical

From my prespective, every medical school has benefits and drawbacks which fortunately create a diverse array of different physicians. As an incoming student at McMaster Im interested if any current students can identify any weaknesses in McMasters preclinical education (For example, Ive heard that anatomy is not a strong focus at Mac), and any way they found to compensate for said weaknesses?

Not that much anatomy - Just study according to your needs. You can also book anatomy sessions at the lab (which are awesome).

Histology - Non-existent. You do get access to some free online textbooks at mac however, and their histology text is great (the name eludes me now).

Statistics - Very simplistic at Mac. Not useful at all if you are interested in research (especially clinical research).

Of course these only matter if they are important to you (Interested in pathology, for example, and needing to learn more histology). The flexible schedule at mac allows you plenty of time to learn what you need. If you want to spend a lot of time in the clinical setting, horizontal electives allow you to develop your skills and try out a specialty.

I would add the lack of a specific pharmacology course as another weakness of the program.

Mac students often find themselves "thrown in" when clerkships start with respect to pharm knowledge, but in my experience they have no trouble picking up the pharm once they're exposed to it.

I would add the lack of a specific pharmacology course as another weakness of the program.

Mac students often find themselves "thrown in" when clerkships start with respect to pharm knowledge, but in my experience they have no trouble picking up the pharm once they're exposed to it.

There are pharm teaching sessions offered (they are optional) at Mac by Dr. Mitch Levine for MD and PA students to attend.

The idea at Mac meds with regard to pharm though is that it is part of what you are supposed to be doing in tutorial.

Archived