Premed 101 Forums

Non Trad MCAT!

Nurse

Ok so here it is. All completed my Nursing school and currently working as a RN. I don't have any science background except the A&P, Pharm courses I took in nursing. I was wondering if I need to take these science courses at University and then start preparing for MCAT or is it still possible for a non trad to get right into MCAT prep via books etc. Any advice?

Since you have been to nursing school, you must have some science back ground (mostly biology). IMO, detailed prep books (ex- Princeton) do a pretty good job at teaching the concepts. Perhaps a mix of some prep books by EK and Kaplan would be helpful too. All in all, I would say try reading the prep books and supplementing any blanks in knowledge by a first year bio/chem/phy books (borrow from library). Do passages as you go. If you are still unsatisfied, taking a course or hiring a tutor might be the last resort.

Thanks for your reply Angio,

No there were no biology courses that were needed for my BN. All I had to take was A&P, Pharm etc. No intro bio or chem. So basically you're saying I should invest in Princeton and EK books and start self studying/teaching and go from there??

I am planning to write it in Spring 2013 so I have some time.

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

I did what you are planning to do. I'm currently in my 4th year of nursing school and I wrote my mcat this summer without any science courses (with the exception of the ones you've taken as well). I took a Princeton review course and studied all summer and ended up with a great score. It requires a lot of work but it is definitely do-able. I actually found that my nursing background helped me a lot because I could focus on the basic concepts, which are sometimes simplified from what you would learn in the actual class, and I had a great time with verbal because it is very similar to nursing exam type questions, where there is often more than one arguable right answer and it requires a lot of careful reading skills and willingness to not be 100% confident with your answer. Physics and organic chemistry were tough for me, but I found some friends with science backgrounds in different areas that helped explain some of the more challenging concepts and that made a huge difference.

I hope it goes really well for you! PM me if you want any more information!

Guest andrea55

Hi there. I intend to do exactly the same thing as you. I graduate from my BscN April 2013 and plan to write the MCAT in August. In terms of science courses I believe that with the dedication and initiative to study on your own, that it can be done. Now,depending on where you intend to apply you may want to look into the prerequisites that are required at some schools. This is what I am struggling with right now- to apply to only a few (mac is my number 1 choice) or take the prerequisites and apply all across the board.

I think that either way you plan to go about it will be possible- just depends on what type of learner you are.

Archived