Premed 101 Forums

Martime resident criteria

Wondering if someone can clarify something for me. Dalhousie's Maritime resident criteria are listed on this PDF: http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/download/Residency-Definition-July2012.pdf . The criteria states the following : Is an independent student and has resided continuously in the Maritime

Provinces for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to the

submission of a request for admission, excluding time spent as a full time

student at a post-secondary institution;

Does the above statement mean that you have to live there for 12 consecutive months WITHOUT going to University? I.e. Work instead of study. Are they trying to weed out people just moving there for the residency criteria midway through their degrees?

Wondering if someone can clarify something for me. Dalhousie's Maritime resident criteria are listed on this PDF: http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/download/Residency-Definition-July2012.pdf . The criteria states the following : Is an independent student and has resided continuously in the Maritime

Provinces for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to the

submission of a request for admission, excluding time spent as a full time

student at a post-secondary institution;

Does the above statement mean that you have to live there for 12 consecutive months WITHOUT going to University? I.e. Work instead of study. Are they trying to weed out people just moving there for the residency criteria midway through their degrees?

You are correct. You need to live here for 12 months as a member of the workforce prior to applying. They used to consider grad school full time employment, but that is no longer the case. For the past two years they also considered you a maritimer if you lived here for 12 months prior to the start of classes, but my understanding is that after this application cycle you need to be here for a year prior to applying.

Archived