Premed 101 Forums

this mcat is hard

beanbeans

They've ALWAYS said that. Of course there is critical thinking. If you haven't seen the question, there is critical thinking. Yes, it isn't a test of content knowledge - very few tests are.

Critical thinking is the utilization of a knowledge base (either previously acquire or acquired in the passage) to solve a problem. Critical thinking is not a distinct entity from knowledge. In fact, fundamental to critical thinking is one's knowledge base.

You could probably figure out most of the answers based purely on the passage. The question is, is that how one scores well. Absolutely not. If you think you have the attention and cognitive endurance to do that for most of the test, I can assure you, you will not perform to your highest standards.

If one has a comprehensive knowledge base and understands the rather rudimentary first year undergraduate concepts taught in the key subjects, that passage is a quick review and reminder. It is not cognitively demanding. Energy is conserved.

If one has a knowledge gap, the passage becomes learning material. It requires A LOT of effort to grasp concepts that one is unfamiliar with. Then, the MCAT asks you to apply it on the spot. Likely, one will have to go back, reread a few of the paragraphs because invariably, people only grasp components of the passage and need further knowledge to answer questions. Energy utilized and time wasted.

My assertion is that, if your knowledge is extremely well developed, the passages are mere review and you can conserve your energy for tougher questions, content you have never seen before, verbal reasoning, and the last hour of the exam. Obviously, there are going to be topics you haven't read before - and you will have to spend time on those passages trying to learn and apply simultaneously. The KEY is to limit the number of these passages so you don't burn out after 10 passages. This exam is as much about endurance than anything else.

Why do you guys think people struggle so much on verbal reasoning compared to the rest of the MCAT? Its not because they aren't fluent in English. It is because it is so cognitively demanding and requires knowledge acquisition and application for its entire section. After a few passages, cognitive fatigue builds and errors are made.

If you want to maximize your potential, you avoid having similar simultaneous knowledge acquisition and application scenarios a much as possible through developing your knowledge so that physics and bio passages are review rather than fresh content.

You can deny it all you want. I know this very fact is the key to MCAT success. I've scored well under this premise, everyone I've coach has done 90+ percentile under this premise.

I agree with 1234's comment, the fatigue factors in as well after a few passages. that's why it's crucial to develop some level of mental endurance through practise problem sets after problem sets. Knowing the background information indeed conserve your energy significantly, especially true for those ancient Greek/ Art history VR passages ... sigh

There's a lot of factors, I haven't taken it yet so don't hang on what I say.

Everyone learns differently, your written is a solid score, so perhaps it's just how you're studying and retaining (or lack thereof) the information.

Personally if you've studied one way try totally mixing it up and see if that maybe changes it, or like futureped said, look at the schedule posted and maybe follow that to a T?

O how close that is to something else.

Its been 6 years since it was on paper. Not 60. Things haven't changed drastically other than the fact that it is shorter, offered more often, and you can type your written section. If it was so drastically different, you would have expected a change in the prep approach (which there hasn't been, considered I have tutored Princeton). Additionally, my mentees would have bombed their MCATs - which they haven't.

So, yes - I can assure you it hasn't change all that much.

False dichotomy.

Archived