Premed 101 Forums

lost focus, lost motivation during test

vikuan_a

Long story short, I studied 4 months for mcat and wrote it on sept 7th. Did like 3-11 AAMC with PS ranging between 11-12, BS around 10 or higher if more orgo passages were there. Verbal 9ish. Only did 20 writing samples from prompt list and didn't have any1 mark it. But on my exam i got an R. Least practice and higher score for this section.

I ended up getting 22R, with 8-7-7

I just felt my brain didn't work during the exam, I was telling my self to focus and do all the questions. I could not pay attention while reading the passages, it seemed like nothing is going inside my head so i just moved on to questions and started storing them in short memory and looked for similar information in the passage. My practice was AAMC was nothing like this. While doing timed AAMC with timed sections and breaks I used to finish PS with 10-12 mins and BS with over 5 mins left and 5 mins for verbal also. During real exam I was just readings sentences without getting their clear meaning. Kinda frustrated with my situation. I got sick as well.

During actual exam I almost ran out of time for every section.

I thinking to rewrite in jan, considering I secure a seat or again in summer 2013.

Long story short, I studied 4 months for mcat and wrote it on sept 7th. Did like 3-11 AAMC with PS ranging between 11-12, BS around 10 or higher if more orgo passages were there. Verbal 9ish. Only did 20 writing samples from prompt list and didn't have any1 mark it. But on my exam i got an R. Least practice and higher score for this section.

I just felt my brain didn't work during the exam, I was telling my self to focus and do all the questions. I could not pay attention while reading the passages, it seemed like nothing is going inside my head so i just moved on to questions and started storing them in short memory and looked for similar information in the passage. My practice was AAMC was nothing like this. While doing timed AAMC with timed sections and breaks I used to finish PS with 10-12 mins and BS with over 5 mins left and 5 mins for verbal also. During real exam I was just readings sentences without getting their clear meaning. Kinda frustrated with my situation. I got sick as well.

I thinking to rewrite in jan, considering I secure a seat or again in summer 2013.

Not everyone is used to the test way of MCAT. Maybe you are one of them. It is very common to try several times to get a better score.

Sorry to hear about your troubles on test day. Did you take your AAMC practice tests under timed conditions as similar to the real test day as possible? From your practice test scores, you seem to have a good grasp of the material and just had an off day on Sept 7th. Good luck for the re-write!

Not everyone is used to the test way of MCAT. Maybe you are one of them. It is very common to try several times to get a better score.

? op wrote aamc 3-11. unless you mean "test conditions", but meh. op: do it up next time. sounds like you just had a rough day. it happens

my right eye became itchy and watery 3 days prior to exam day and I stopped studying just 2-3 VR passage. I even woke at 10AM and studied during 2-6pm time slot to get my brain going a month prior to my exam.

I do felt like I did an overall kill with AAMC as I did like 3-11 AAMC within 3 weeks before the exam day, e.g 4 FLs plus finding mistakes in a WEEK.

got depressed big times after getting my scores two weeks ago.

That 8 in PS stabbed my soul :(

I was that kid in first year chemistry who will finish weekly Mastering Chemistry for general chem on the same day when a weekly assignment was released on 5pm Wed and I finished it on 6pm, within an hour. That is the kind of motivation I had when I learned these courses back 3-4 years ago.

messed up real bad.

thanks every1 for their words of Advice and encouragement.

it's just a bad day...

but if you want to gain confidence on the test day, maybe you could take every saturday to do a practice exam (as if like it's the real exam, same conditions as a real exam, focus your mind) -- so that your body acclimates to it.

idk if you've already been doing that, but yeah.. that's what i can tell you

:S sucks...but you know don't lose confidence, you can do it

Archived