Premed 101 Forums

interview formula from previous years

what do you mean? "pre-interview evaluation"? "post-interview evaluation"?

dunno about the year before last, but last yr's pre-int scoring was the 25/25/46 gpa/vr/casper + grad score (if applicable). as far as i can remember, the post-interview formula's been 15/15/70 gpa/vr/int. but ya, you prob knew that all ready. sorry i'm not much help beyond recent history.

I think last year's formula was 46-50% CASPER, 25% GPA and 25% . I know a person with a GPA around 3.6 got accepted (she said she got extremely lucky with CASPER!). The formula after you finish your interview only includes your MMI score, GPA and VR score. I am not sure if they look at your reference letters or E/Cs but it seems like they don't!

PS. 36 people got accepted last year with a GPA less than 3.60 :o (21 with a GPA between 3.0 and 3.49)

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/documents/Classof2015.pdf

Just based on the new weighting, I think that might change a bit since the score weighting this year is:

32% each for VR, CASPer and GPA

4% for graduate degree

My guess would be it would be a bit more GPA based so the average acceptance may go up to 3.8 however it really depends on if they score GPA/VR/CASPer

I think it emphasizes the whole well-balanced applicant thing. Successful applicants would either be well-balanced across the chart (GPA-VR-CASPer), or they could make up a poor component with a stronger component (ex. Weak GPA, Strong VR). With a ~50% weight on the CASPer, the other components had an undeservingly (word?) lower impact on your chances.

I didn't apply last year, so this isn't a personal rant. Just my opinion.

Archived