Premed 101 Forums

Pro's and Con's of each campus aside, I want to talk about housing options.

Between the three, is there one area that stands out in terms of affordability and quality housing?

I am looking at buying, but renting is an option as well.I don't know this area of Ontario at all, but so far an MLS search suggests the following characteristics:

1. Hamilton - of the three campuses this is the worst option in terms of value. A lot of older apartments and homes and on the higher end of the scale to buy / rent

2. St. Catherines - not a lot of modern apartments here for rent or sale, mostly older homes, one level rancher types. Reasonably priced however

3. Waterloo - the nicest apartments I've seen, many "modern" places, residential towers, lofts, and in between the two for pricing

I am looking for a newish apartment and it seems like Waterloo has better options in terms of availability and affordability. This is all based on mls and largely avoiding the kijiji and craigslist ads (which all seem to list old apartments or dumpy basement suites)

Can anyone correct my conclusions? I could be way off here :D

**Edit: For what its worth I was looking at condos around $250-320k / or rental $1300 ish

Hamilton has both many older Victorian homes that have been flipped with luxurious amenities and well-equipped high rise condos.

Try starting on James South (including James Street itself). There are plenty of beautiful places on Herkimer, Charlton, Bold, Young, Bay, etc.

Best of luck.

Pro's and Con's of each campus aside, I want to talk about housing options.

Between the three, is there one area that stands out in terms of affordability and quality housing?

I am looking at buying, but renting is an option as well.I don't know this area of Ontario at all, but so far an MLS search suggests the following characteristics:

1. Hamilton - of the three campuses this is the worst option in terms of value. A lot of older apartments and homes and on the higher end of the scale to buy / rent

2. St. Catherines - not a lot of modern apartments here for rent or sale, mostly older homes, one level rancher types. Reasonably priced however

3. Waterloo - the nicest apartments I've seen, many "modern" places, residential towers, lofts, and in between the two for pricing

I am looking for a newish apartment and it seems like Waterloo has better options in terms of availability and affordability. This is all based on mls and largely avoiding the kijiji and craigslist ads (which all seem to list old apartments or dumpy basement suites)

Can anyone correct my conclusions? I could be way off here :D

**Edit: For what its worth I was looking at condos around $250-320k / or rental $1300 ish

Make sure you're looking at the right address. My waterloo friends tell me it's apparently not anywhere near UWaterloo but somewhere in some barren community in Kitchener.

I think you have the right idea generally speaking. Of course you will be able to find places in niagara and hamilton, but you have to dig a little deeper. My classmates in Waterloo definitely have really nice, modern places that are close to campus and affordable. Hope that helps!

Archived