Premed 101 Forums

Full time?

Hey guys,

What is Ottawa's definition, in terms of number of courses/school year, of full time undergrad? Also, do we have to have a minimum of 2 full years completed before application?

Thanks.

They have this on their website:

"...a minimum of three years of full-time (5 full year courses/year).."

This is a bummer, since I took 4.5 credits in my first year :(

Also, can anyone shed light on my particular situation, where I took 4.5 credits first year and will complete 5.5 credits second year.

Will they allow me to apply?

Thanks!

They have this on their website:

"...a minimum of three years of full-time (5 full year courses/year).."

This is a bummer, since I took 4.5 credits in my first year :(

Also, can anyone shed light on my particular situation, where I took 4.5 credits first year and will complete 5.5 credits second year.

Will they allow me to apply?

Thanks!

I actually read on the course calendar for Ottawa that it's 12 credits/semester at their own school. Strange that they would consider full time 5/5 for med apps.

If we go with your definition, which i more stringent, does that mean any year that you weren't 5/5 is not counted towards your GPA?

I actually read on the course calendar for Ottawa that it's 12 credits/semester at their own school. Strange that they would consider full time 5/5 for med apps.

If we go with your definition, which i more stringent, does that mean any year that you weren't 5/5 is not counted towards your GPA?

It's pretty stringent, and the way I interpret it is if you do not have full course load every year, then you cannot apply.

I hope I am incorrect and if someone can shed any light on it that would be awesome.

I googled and it said that you have to have a minimum of 3 years of full time studies to apply. They also have an example of someone applying after 2 year, and completing their third year. This technically means that we can apply even with 2 years as long as we're enrolled in a third year. Also, full time doesn't mean 5 FCE, it means 4 which is in line with what I said about 12 credits/semester.

"A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) full-year courses is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course. "

Yes! When they say 5 courses/year, it means you have to average it out. So say in my case, where I took 4.5 first year and 5.5 second, they average to 5 courses a year, which seems good with them. :)

Thank goodness, cause I thought you HAD to take the course you missed in the following summer.

Also I emailed them, and I'll let you know what they say

Yes! When they say 5 courses/year, it means you have to average it out. So say in my case, where I took 4.5 first year and 5.5 second, they average to 5 courses a year, which seems good with them. :)

Thank goodness, cause I thought you HAD to take the course you missed in the following summer.

Also I emailed them, and I'll let you know what they say

I don't know where you'er getting this average thing from, but from the part of the website I read, it said 12 credits per semester, or 4 FCE per year, not 5.

I don't know where you'er getting this average thing from, but from the part of the website I read, it said 12 credits per semester, or 4 FCE per year, not 5.

"...three years of full-time studies (five full-year course/year)..."

The way I interpret that statement is that you should have 15 credits done by your 3rd year. Again, I may be wrong.

They emailed me back:

Hello,

Yes, this is perfectly acceptable since the missing course from Year 1 was taken in another academic year (Year 2). If you take 5 fulltime courses per year in the 4th and 5th year and meet our eligibility requirements you may apply.

Regards,

Diane Parent

There you go, it should be crystal clear now. And thank goodness I can apply to Ottawa lol :D

Archived