Premed 101 Forums

Withdrawn course?

I have around cGPA= 3.8 and will likely have the same this year. I did very poorly on a chem midterm recently and although there is time to withdraw, our next midterm is after the withdrawal date (so I have no other way to see if i can bring up my mark or not).

I feel like I'll end up with a C or around there. Itll definitely drop my GPA. Should I withdraw? If so, would a W really impact my app for US schools? I dont have any prior and only have 1 B (everything else is A- and A)

The conventional reaction to your current problem is to put more effort in that course in order to do well on the other assessment components and be content with a slightly lower final grade for the course.

A 3.7 with a B- or C+ is still very good. W doesn't look too good on your transcript, but you can search up the topic on SDN for more opinions. Seeing that you have at least 2 midterms and a final in the course, and probably also a lab component, you should be able to easily redeem yourself.

You will realize that doing poorly in one course is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things, and chances are, most people will do poorly on at least one other exam down the road.

any thing with a C- in the US is not considered a pass, and you will have to do the class again---- just a heads up

I've never heard of this - source please?

OP, you should be able to get much better than just a C- final grade if you put in the effort. I failed my first chem midterm, but then worked hard and got a A- in the course.

A withdrawl will look bad for US medical schools, considering that this is a core science class, and not an arts class. Since you still have another midterm and the final, my advice would be to stay in the class and bring your mark up to a C+/B- . Considering how you said all the other classes are A or A-, you should stick with the class. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived