Premed 101 Forums

Any one know a student from UofOttawa?

Hi,

I'll try to give you a little insight concerning the school.

It's quite good! The curriculum is very balanced in terms of the different approaches they use to teach. You learn not only from lectures, but also in small groups, in the lab, by yourself and hands-on so there's a bit of everything for people who have different learning styles. The class size is quite small (115 English and 50 or so French) and thus leads to quite a good student to faculty ratio. While we have had a few rough lecturers (which you'll get regardless of what school you go to), we've also had many really good lecturers. In general, they are always available to answer questions whether it be after lecture or by email and are usually quite responsive. A lot of the faculty members really do love teaching which is evident in their lecture style and seen if you get the chance to go to clinic with them.

There's a lot of opportunity get hands on experience early as well. You get to go into the hospital to interview patients right from the second week of classes and through various faculty-mandated programs as well as electives, there is plenty of opportunities to go and work with docs in the hospitals and out in the community.

As for whether it will be tough... Medical school is tough regardless of where you go. Ottawa is pass-fail, just like all other schools and people rarely fail. Other than that, I dont think there's anything more to say regarding difficulty.

I hope this helps!

Archived