Premed 101 Forums

Bringing pencil and paper to interview?

I went to a mock MMI a little while back and some people brought a clipboard and a pen to write out their thoughts while reading the prompt. I have two questions: 1) Is this allowed at Mac? and 2) Does anyone recommend this?

I think that this personally might be distracting for me, but I would also feel weird being the only person without a clipboard.

No need for this. Take your time and organize your thoughts after you read the prompt and you will be great. We will have plenty of free water if you would like a sip.

Best of luck!

I went to a mock MMI a little while back and some people brought a clipboard and a pen to write out their thoughts while reading the prompt. I have two questions: 1) Is this allowed at Mac? and 2) Does anyone recommend this?

I think that this personally might be distracting for me, but I would also feel weird being the only person without a clipboard.

Well that's good to know because I've been practicing with a pen and paper and that might have thrown me a little when I couldn't use one on the day.

It does make worry a little bit that I might forget some points that occur to me while I'm considering the scenario, but I'll rehearse without it from now on so I have some practice at retaining and recalling my ideas.

Thanks!

No need for this. Take your time and organize your thoughts after you read the prompt and you will be great. We will have plenty of free water if you would like a sip.

Best of luck!

Um... what if we really need to pee between stations? :o Is there time?

Um... what if we really need to pee between stations? :o Is there time?

The timer won't stop for you so you'll lose every second that you're in the washroom. I strongly recommend against this as I think you'll pretty much jeapordize an entire station

just dont drink anything all day and use the washroom before you start!

The timer won't stop for you so you'll lose every second that you're in the washroom. I strongly recommend against this as I think you'll pretty much jeapordize an entire station

just dont drink anything all day and use the washroom before you start!

There are two rest stations during the process... (at least there were last year) so desperately having to go to the bathroom shouldn't be a huge problem :)

There are two rest stations during the process... (at least there were last year) so desperately having to go to the bathroom shouldn't be a huge problem :)

Agreed! The medical schools generally try not to deprive people of responding to their basic human urges, even if you're applying to get in.

LOL I forgot about those! I started with a rest station so that's probably why it didn't register, haha.

Thank goodness! I get terrible migraines if I don't drink enough, so this was a major worry. Good to hear there will be at least one break for me.

You're not allowed to bring literally anything with you to the MMI (empty pockets, empty handed). They will have shelves for you to leave all of your belongings - I personally wish I knew this in advance so I just wouldn't bring anything.

They provide snacks, drinks, water for when you come in, water during the interview, and lunch after the interview (I had a morning MMI, not sure of the experience for the late MMI group).

You will have 2 rest stations for taking a break. But if your sympathetic nervous system is acting appropriately, you won't need to worry about it during the interview itself :rolleyes:

I'm surprised to hear that there are two rest stations. I've only interviewed at the UofM, their format is 1 rest, 1 written, and 10 interview stations. What's the rest of the breakdown for Mac? Thanks!

The interview invitation states that there are 10 MMI stations and 1 or 2 rest stations.

Archived