Premed 101 Forums

Q&A With Mac Med 2015

With regards to doing research, what opportunities are there? I know there's an MD/PhD program after first year, or something called an enrichment year (where you do research for up to a year)? Has anyone done either of these at Mac, and particularly for the enrichment year - are you funded? Appreciate any answers in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone able to comment on the student retention rate at Mac? That is, what percentage of students end up graduating? I guess that it is similar to the rest of Canadian medical schools, but I cannot find statistics anywhere.

Thanks!

I do not know if I have an exact number for you, but I think that everyone graduates at some point. There is an enrichment year (fourth year) for those who do not match to residency. Also, there is a newly implemented system that allows for an extra 16 weeks of clerkship. You can find stats for match rates on the CaRMS website - the number from last year was not that great for the first round, but from what I hear...this year should be better.

Is anyone able to comment on the student retention rate at Mac? That is, what percentage of students end up graduating? I guess that it is similar to the rest of Canadian medical schools, but I cannot find statistics anywhere.

Thanks!

You can do research whenever you can fit it in. In terms of opportunities, many students find willing researchers and coordinate things on their own.

With regards to doing research, what opportunities are there? I know there's an MD/PhD program after first year, or something called an enrichment year (where you do research for up to a year)? Has anyone done either of these at Mac, and particularly for the enrichment year - are you funded? Appreciate any answers in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to meet all of you =)

For those of you lucky enough have multiple acceptances and are wondering why you might *coughshouldcough* choose Mac, feel free to shoot me a PM! I will try my best to answer your questions, or I can provide shameless self-advertising for Mac.

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS <3

Orientation begins on Aug. 26!

More info will be coming shortly in your snail-mail package! Also, join our facebook group (if you use facebook): McMaster Medicine Class of 2016 (search it)

WELCOME TO THE MAC MED FAMILY

This is probably a very stupid question, but there is no possible way at all to switch campuses right? completely binding....

If not, sayonara Mac...hello U of T.

Yep, absolutely no switching.

I don't know your reasons, but I will say that Waterloo and Niagara are fantastic. There are pros and cons to Hamilton and the regional campuses so be sure to look into it before writing it off.

Yep, absolutely no switching.

I don't know your reasons, but I will say that Waterloo and Niagara are fantastic. There are pros and cons to Hamilton and the regional campuses so be sure to look into it before writing it off.

I agree. I'm at the Hamilton campus, and I am so jeals of the Waterloo campus. They have a pretty sweet deal over there. I haven't visited the Niagara campus, but I am sure it's similar.

You get to meet everyone during the first foundation (first 3 months) all at the Hamilton campus, then you have your small group (about 20-30 people) on your satellite campus, and they become like your family. The curriculum is the same, except that they get extra (and more structured) anatomy, which is amazing. You get access to the same facilities plus the local facilities (ex. the gym at Brock). Because the campus is small, one could argue that it's easier to get opportunities, and also the admin treat you real nice (popcorn machines? a kitchen? free lunches?).

I don't think the campus is the best reason for rejecting Mac if that's where someone was hoping to go unless location is an important personal issue (ex. having to commute because you have to stay with your family).

Thanks for the words about Waterloo. I'm feeling very torn between Mac @ Waterloo and Queen's.

Also,

You get access to the same facilities plus the local facilities (ex. the gym at Brock).

Do you know if students at Waterloo get access to facilities at either Waterloo or Laurier?

Lastly, I did create a thread for people considering the regional campuses in case that is useful to people (http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78673)

What advice for us to do in the summer just before first year? I'm working 2 jobs; the upside is I'm in a good position financially but the downside is I barely get free time this summer until at least mid-July.

I get the feeling that I'm throwing away my last vacation ... but I don't want to quit either.. Thoughts?

What advice for us to do in the summer just before first year? I'm working 2 jobs; the upside is I'm in a good position financially but the downside is I barely get free time this summer until at least mid-July.

I get the feeling that I'm throwing away my last vacation ... but I don't want to quit either.. Thoughts?

You definitely get some time off (2 weeks in December, 1 week in August, and some time for weekend getaways) so it wouldn't be your last vacation - I had the same thoughts last summer though. That being said, I still really wish I had done some travelling during that summer. Plus, with $25 000 in tuition a year and living expenses, we're pretty much all going into debt anyway, and in my opinion, your free time is worth more regardless. Hope that helps! Congratulations on your acceptance!!

I got a job and worked full-time July and August. I wish I could go back and not do that. So many things I could have done instead. The extra 2500$ I made is a drop in the bucket.

Choose wisely. But congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the words about Waterloo. I'm feeling very torn between Mac @ Waterloo and Queen's.

Also,

Do you know if students at Waterloo get access to facilities at either Waterloo or Laurier?

Lastly, I did create a thread for people considering the regional campuses in case that is useful to people (http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78673)

I don't know if they have access to other facilities, but I know the Waterloo med building has their own exercise room with some equipment like a treadmill, bike, and elliptical. Maybe someone from the Waterloo campus can help you with this question :)

I got a job and worked full-time July and August. I wish I could go back and not do that. So many things I could have done instead. The extra 2500$ I made is a drop in the bucket.

Choose wisely. But congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahh I see...

Car: Definitely not necessary, but it is helpful. Usually enough people have cars that when you have something off campus you can carpool with someone else in your tutorial group.

Financial Aid: Most people that applied got around $3700 last year, but not sure if this varies.

Hi,

I was luck enough to be accepted to mac yesterday. I’m really excited! I have two questions, hopefully someone will be willing to answer.

Do many people write the step 1 to go to US residency? (I know mac has a non-traditional curriculum, so the science might not be as rigorous). If so, do people do well? Does it require lots of planning ahead? (ie. I want to write the step 1 next year, so I better start studying now).

I think Academic medicine might be interesting. With a three year curriculum at Mac, when do people do research? I think if I want to Academic medicine I should probably do some sort of research in the Med school.

Thanks for the help!

Car: Definitely not necessary, but it is helpful. Usually enough people have cars that when you have something off campus you can carpool with someone else in your tutorial group.

Financial Aid: Most people that applied got around $3700 last year, but not sure if this varies.

thanks! :)

Congrats h9i9j9!!

USMLE Step 1 - I don't have stats for you, but generally, unless you are looking to the states for residency or future fellowships, there is little utility in actually writing the USMLE Step 1. Some people do, but most of my colleagues don't plan on it. As for the sciences bit at Mac, it's fairly true that if you are thinking of writing it, you will need to find time to prepare. I suggest you start and then once you know people in the class, perhaps you can prepare as a group if you can find enough classmates interested in it. I have personally decided not to.

Academia and Research - there are no shortage of opportunities. In my opinion, there is plenty of time to find a PI, propose a project, and finish it. I completed a project between inception in late November to completion and submission in January. Also won an award for it. And let me tell you, I AM NOT a research type of guy. I just found something of interest and proactively made it happen.

I know several people in the Class of 2014 that have multiple publications, most before even starting clerkship. Again, it's how you make use of your time and opportunities.

One concern I have about Mac: while I love the idea of a 3 year program, the downside is that I'm really not sure (at all) what specialty I want to pursue. I plan on spending my time wisely and taking advantage of as many opportunities as possible to figure it out, but if there are any current students who felt similarly when they were entering med school, can you comment on how things have worked out? Do you feel like it's more difficult to explore and really figure out where you fit in best due to the compressed time frame, or is that just a misconception on my part?

Archived