Premed 101 Forums

Grad school?/What are my chances

So I'm planning on applying to US medical schools, however I'm having trouble deciding whether I should do a Master's in Medical Sciences or do extra undergraduate courses to fix my GPA.

I just finished my 4th year at UofT (Biology and Health and Disease double major) and these are my stats:

cGPA: 3.62 (I completely messed up first year, but I've had an upward trend since then)

MCAT: 33R

ECs:

-three years lab assistant in a biology lab

-1 Summer research project

-5 years volunteering at a hospital

-1 executive position for a medical relief organization (just for the UofT chapter though)

-3 years tutoring (for a volunteer group)

-went on a trip overseas to help build a school one summer

-worked for over 4 years with Amnesty International and Free the Children, organizing campaigns in my high school (this is a little old though so I don't even think it will count for much in my application)

I know I've killed my chances for Canadian medical schools, but do you think I have a somewhat realistic shot in any US schools? Or should I do a Master's or more undergraduate courses to boost my gpa (the problem with this is that even with extra courses I don't see my cgpa getting to 3.7).

I would really appreciate any advice you guys may have :)

What are your year-by-year GPAs? You don't necessarily need a cGPA that high and certainly strong upward trends will go in your favour at places like Queen's, Western, Ottawa, Dal, and others.

These were my gpas for each year:

1st: 3.13

2nd: 3.71

3rd: 3.90

4th: 3.90

Also, just to add, I didn't take a full course load every year, so I can't drop the grade of any credits (I know some schools do that)

* by doing a masters, this is ONLY to improve your canadian acceptance

US doesnt really care at the end of the day

for US, if you can push a 3.7 and apply early, i think you might have a shot somewhere, apply broadly

-- you are looking at 1-2 yrs of damage control regardless

These were my gpas for each year:

1st: 3.13

2nd: 3.71

3rd: 3.90

4th: 3.90

Also, just to add, I didn't take a full course load every year, so I can't drop the grade of any credits (I know some schools do that)

Which years did you have a full course load? It is definitely worthwhile applying to Queen's, Western, Ottawa, Dal, and any other schools that you think would be reasonable. It's always something of a crapshoot, but those last two years are strong and your second year isn't bad either (about the same as mine!).

Archived