Premed 101 Forums

someone please chance me!

Hi everyone,

I just got bad news back from OMSAS yesterday and so now I'm considering applying to American schools...as we all know, getting an interview guarantees nothing lol and I want to make sure I have a good safety net next year possibly in the US!

In terms of academics, my OMSAS GPA is a 3.83 once all summer courses are considered (but I believe it'll go up a tad with the AMCAS scale?) and my MCAT scores are 11 PS/10 BS/9 VR/ R (writing).

I recently completed a research based Master's which yielded me a 2 first-author publications (one pretty high impact, the author in a younger journal), and I may or may not have 2 more third and second-author papers before I submit my app depending on whether or not they get accepted. I've also done a bunch of oral and poster presentations, but don't know how important that is when applying to US schools yet..

in terms of ECs, i've been a TA for the past 2 years, play intramural volleyball, volunteered at a variety of places including MADD (hotline), Canadian Diabetes Association, Breakfast for Learning, hospitals, etc. I haven't shadowed that much (just observed a handful of operations), but my thesis supervisor is a surgeon and has agreed to help me in that respect over the next couple of months.

thanks!!!

yeah, definitely not re-doing the mcat...I wrote it 4 times and can't put myself through that again lol

my ECs - I didn't elaborate on them too much, but I think they're decent..they were good enough to get me 2 interviews in Ontario.

my MSc was in epidemiology.

Archived