Premed 101 Forums

Rewriting the MCAT

Guest student101

Guest student101

I know this has been asked a million times, but I always get different answers. if i did poorly on the MCAT in april and choose to rewrite it in august, what would happen? Would schools know about this? Would they take my more recent score, my better score, or an average of the 2 scores?

Thanks

Guest aneliz

Yes, the schools would know about it. AAMC now releases ALL of your MCAT scores to the schools whether you want them to or not. However, would the schools care is the better question. And, the answer to that is no. Med schools will look at your most recent MCAT scores only. Not at your best ones, and they do not average them. You also cannot 'mix and match' scores from different tests. It doesn't matter how many times you write the MCAT... there are no bonus points for only writing once... and there are no negative points for writing many times.

Guest darlaa

That is the most reassuring thing I've heard this week. It's really nice to know that if I totally flub it this time, I have a second chance.

Thanks Aneliz!

Guest haquer

Hey,

I was contemplating rewriting before and made a list of the schools and what scores they take:

Western: Latest MCAT

U of T: Latest MCAT

Queen's: Latest MCAT

Alberta: Best MCAT

U of Sask: Best MCAT

U of Calgary: Best MCAT

Memorial: Average of all scores

Dalhousie: Best MCAT

McGill: Latest MCAT

UBC: Best MCAT

Hope that helps... Good luck on the exam :)

Archived