Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances? 3.95 GPA, 30 MCAT

I know my MCAT is low, but I am hoping my GPA, ECs, and applying early will counteract that. Please let me know what you think of my upcoming app:

Stats:

cGPA = 3.95 (sGPA probably the same)

MCAT = 30

ECs (which I think are very good/above average):

Lots of physician shadowing, working as admin assistant at family clinic, 1 year of clinical research, a varsity sport, exec member and VP of several clubs, etc etc

List of schools I am applying to (21 schools total):

Albert Einstein, Boston U, Case Western, Rosalind Franklin, Dartmouth, Duke, George Washington, Georgetown, Mt Sinai, Mayo, NYMC, New York U, Penn State, SUNY, Brown, Tufts, UCLA David Geffen, U Michigan Ann Arbor, U of Minnesota, VCU, Wake Forest, Wayne State

Do I have any shot at higher tier schools?

pretty sure wake forest, tufts and brown arent canadian friendly either.

In terms of your chances for high tiers, I wouldn't say they're great because of your MCAT's on the lower end of their spectrum, especially as an international applicant. I think your best shot is mid tiers like AECOM since you have a strong GPA to compensate.

pretty sure wake forest, tufts and brown arent canadian friendly either.

In terms of your chances for high tiers, I wouldn't say they're great because of your MCAT's on the lower end of their spectrum, especially as an international applicant. I think your best shot is mid tiers like AECOM since you have a strong GPA to compensate.

I just checked and Wake Forest and Tufts aren't accepting Canadians anymore, thanks for saving me money :)

Would you say if applying early, I have a shot at schools like Boston U, Case Western, Dartmouth?

Boston and Case Western are both reasonable according to your LizzyM score compared to the school averages, but that doesn't take into account your international status. I think these schools would be good reach schools; odds aren't in your favour but you do have a shot.

I think that there's a couple there that aren't really as Canadian friendly as they might say. Geffen and U Michigan being the only clear two I can identify. So you may want to scratch those. Other than that, looks good to me.

Your MCAT is going to hold you back. 30 is low for a Canadian applicant and very low for high-tier schools

Case Western loves research

Don't bother applying to UCLA or U of Minnesota

Duke and Mayo are huge long shots

I know the MCAT is a bit low for some schools, but I thought my high GPA would counteract that and put me on a level playing field. Isn't that how it works? On top of that, I have good ECs.. I was hoping the rest of my app would make up for a sub-par MCAT.

Archived