Premed 101 Forums

Help a Bro Out

I was wondering if I could get anyone's opinion on what American schools I would be competitive for.

My stats are as follows:

cGPA=3.695 (rounded up to 3.7), with an increasing trend from first year.

sGPA= roughly the same

MCAT= 35Q

ECs= the usual stuff and little extra. In short, slightly above average.

Any insight/input is appreciated! :)

Your MCAT is competitive at almost every school, assuming an even distribution as between PS, VR, and BS. Your GPA isn't bad by US standards. I would think you'd be competitive at the mid-tier schools, and maybe a few upper-mid schools. To be honest, I think you'd have a hard time getting into the Ivy League.

As always, MSAR is your best guide. It only costs about $20 and you get the stats straight from the horse's mouth (the horse being AAMC).

Thanks for the reply BubbaBlue.

My MCAT breakdown is 12/10/13 (P/V/B). And I did purchase the MSAR, but I had one question: how do you determine which schools are mid-tier, low-tier or high-tier?

That is an excellent MCAT score for the US. I'm sure they will love your 13 in BS!!! But I think with your GPA, you would be a hard sell for Ivy League schools.

DoubleA's list seems about right to me (except for the surprisingly low position of Yale).

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it.

What do you think of my list of schools? I compiled them using MSAR and some forum searching lol

Albert Einstein, Boston University, Case Western, Rosalind Franklin, Dartmouth, George Washington University, Georgetown, Jefferson, Louisiana Statue University, Wisconsin, Michigan State, NY Medical College, Northwestern, Oakland University, Penn State, Stanford, SUNY Upstate, Tulane, Tufts, Kentucky, University of Maryland, University of Minnesota, North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Wayne State and Cornell.

I know its a hefty list and some like Stanford, Cornell, etc. are in just for the hell of it, but I think these are the schools I want to apply to.

Any suggestions/insight would be amazing! :)

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it.

What do you think of my list of schools? I compiled them using MSAR and some forum searching lol

Albert Einstein, Boston University, Case Western, Rosalind Franklin, Dartmouth, George Washington University, Georgetown, Jefferson, Louisiana Statue University, Wisconsin, Michigan State, NY Medical College, Northwestern, Oakland University, Penn State, Stanford, SUNY Upstate, Tulane, Tufts, Kentucky, University of Maryland, University of Minnesota, North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Wayne State and Cornell.

I know its a hefty list and some like Stanford, Cornell, etc. are in just for the hell of it, but I think these are the schools I want to apply to.

Any suggestions/insight would be amazing! :)

Albert Einstein,

Boston University,

Case Western,

Rosalind Franklin,

Dartmouth,

George Washington University,

Georgetown,

Jefferson,

Louisiana Statue University, Why? Do you have any ties there?

Wisconsin, MCW or Madison?

Michigan State,

NY Medical College,

Northwestern,

Oakland University,

Penn State,

Stanford: Very difficult...

SUNY Upstate,

Tulane,

Tufts, : You are wasting your money

Kentucky,

University of Maryland: Not sure if they take Canadians any more

University of Minnesota, : Not sure if they take Canadians, and even if they say they do, I doubt your chances are good unless you have ties to the state

North Carolina at Chapel Hill, : Waste of money

Wayne State

Cornell.

Thanks for your comments man.

- I was refering to Medical College of Wisconsin

- Does Tufts not accept Canadians anymore/is it really hard?

- Maryland had 13 international students interview out of 219 applicants and only 1 matriculated- so I guess not that good!

- And whats the wrong with North Carolina Chapel Hill?

I agree with the rest of your suggestions. Thank you! :)

Archived