Premed 101 Forums

Do they give you formulas on the PS section?

Guest Jochi1543

Guest Jochi1543

I'm wondering if I have to memorize all the physics formulas by heart - luckily there are not TOO many of them, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. Do they give you relevant formulas for specific questions on the exam, or not?

Guest crimson

MEMORIZE THEM! As said above though, sometimes they give you one or two formulas in the passage itself which are used later... but you'll for sure need the formulas that you come across in your study guides and whatnot not just for passages, but in stand-alone questions too.

Guest Jochi1543

Same with constants and stuff? (i.e. Plank's constant, etc) Sometimes I get confused with them since there are like 3 different values for each depending on the measurement units.8o

Guest trynit

Hey,

I'm pretty sure that the only constants that you need to know are ones that you probably already have memorized (gravity, density of water, atmospheric pressure, volume of an ideal gas at STP and speed of light are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head). Plank's constant, speed of sound, and even the constant for the ideal gas law will almost surely be given on the MCAT. From the practice exams I've done, the questions that I have missed have almost always be due to a misunderstanding of the concepts, not because I couldn't remember a formula. We only have a few weeks left... I would spend my time learning to tease the answers out of the information given in the passages, not memorizing complicated formulas. For a list of "must memorize" equations, check out the EK material.

Happy studying...

Archived