Premed 101 Forums

Low WS score!! HELP!

Guest misagh

Guest misagh

Hello,

I am happy with my overall score (33) except for my WS score (M!!). This is my second time writing, and the first time I had gotten a 28P. I just got my score, and so I haven't had a chance to dig up info on all of the schools and their MCAT requirements..... but can someone please let me know if this score is sufficient to apply to canadian/american schools, and if I should re-write in Aug?

And what about the option of having them remark my writing samples? Has anyone else successfully done this? With a score of "M", should I just do it and figure that I have nothing more to lose?

Thanks for any advice,

Guest Apraxis

In regards to Canadian schools you should note that, aside from a few institutions, most generally tend to consider the writing sample with some--minor--interest. For the most part, your "M" shouldn't preclude you from applying to most schools and still remaining competitive.

Most American schools don't factor the writing sample at all, instead assigning you a composite score sans WS.

Bottom line: don't re-write.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rubberoduck

I'm not so sure about that. While WS is not a huge factor in their consideration, most schools with die-hard MCAT cutoffs tend to also have a cutoff for WS, and it's usually O or above. Queens and Western have floating MCAT cutoff, but it has never fallen below O. This year Western's realistic, non-official MCAT cutoff for non-SWOMENS area is in fact Q. UofT is not big on MCAT, but it's official cutoff is still N I believe. The choice of whether or not to rewrite is yours, but last year I faced a similar dilemma and chose not to rewrite (my first score was 33R), but in retrospect I definitely should have re-written. So I think that, if it's not too late, you should at least consider the consequences of not rewriting and play your hands carefully.

Guest Madz25

UofT's cutoff isn't 'diehard'. You can have one below and it wont really matter. Most schools dont put that much emphasis on WS anyway.

Madz

Guest rubberoduck

I read a post somewhere about this person who applied 4 times, and he/she got a 34M, but said that it was basically useless because it was rejected by the schools. UT doesn't care much about the MCAT. I know people with lower scores who got in, but you need to be good in other aspects to compensate for your lost chances to interview at other schools. If you're risk-averse, you should rewrite the MCAT in order to get more interviews.

Guest red devil 85

though you are write that not many schools have strict cut-offs there is still a general trend

Queens was a P last year and with double cohort will likely go up

Western want a Q

U of T though not strict, their average of accept students is a Q

Same goes with Manitoba

I had a 33 P last year, with a 13 in BS, 9 in PS and 11 PS and am re-writing

Archived