Premed 101 Forums

Gold Standard CD's.. Package for $280?? Good deal?

Guest AKangaroo

Guest AKangaroo

Hi, everyone!

I just finished my first year of univ and want to prepare for MCAT. I am planning to take it this August if possible.

I think I will be more efficient studying by myself, so I am looking for a good study guide.

I was searching the web and saw so many study guides... EK, Kaplan, PR, Gold Standard, etc.

I saw EK 5 book package which I read was more of a content-based package, not many MCAT-like problems.

Kaplan and PR were good books, as others said...

Then, I saw this Gold Standard package from Ebay; it has lecture CD's and MP3, that I cannot find any reviews in this forum.

Has anybody here used this package?

Is Gold Standard Book sufficient without the CD's, i.e. does the book have all the info that is included in CD's?

I have only taken first year Biology, BIO150 at UofT, which is not Cell Biology stuff, so I am missing a lot of stuff I heard.

No Univ Physics, but took grade 12 physics;

half-course Organic Chem, half-course General Chem;

thats about it...

Do the books like Kaplan and PR (Im referring to ONE BOOK like 1000-pages) explain everything that I need to know? OR should I buy EK 5 book package to obtain all the information I need to know?

Am I encouraged to take a prep course? OR studying alone with a prep book will be good enough?

Oh... so many questions... Could somebody be very kind to answer all my questions here? Thank you so very much!!

I am very confused how to prepare for MCAT...8o

Guest Jochi1543

Why don't you wait a year until you're done with your cell bio and chem? Given that you've just finished your first year, you won't be applying anywhere anyway, why rush and undermine your chances of getting a good score?

Guest PhansterZ

Hey, first off, you've just finished first year. Like Jochi said, there shouldn't be any rush to tackle the beast yet. You can't even apply to any Ontario schools anyways until the start of your 3rd year. If you're in such a rush to do it, I'd advised doing it next year, when you're a year smarter.

The MCat is a huge test that can determine what car you are going to drive in the future (Ferarri or Honda?), so you should take it when you feel you are most ready. Retaking an MCAT wouldn't after bombing it wouldn't help your application.

But if you are so hardpressed on doing it, then I guess nothing can stop you.

anyways, to answer your question.

The mcat ppl pride themselves on testing your critical thinking skills. Of course, there are content questions, but it's mostly based on how well you understand the concepts (you'd more likely understand a passage when you already familiar with the content in the passage). With that in mind, I saw that ad on eBay and I'm sure it will cover all the content necessary for the mcat (the Gold Standard is a great book for Mcat strategies and review too).

If you're gonna buy that, then I'd suggest not buying the total Examcrackers package. Buy the Examkrackers: Verbal Reasoning, as it is one of the best on the market (as far as prep and the similarities of the questions on the actual mcat). Also, you might wanna buy Physics one for review, just in case.

The thing about prep courses are.. that you can learn the stuff on your own anyways. I just finished my 2nd year in Biopharm, Medicinal chem option at Ottawa U, so my science knowledge is pretty solid (I got an 11 for phys science and 10 for bio science with no prep on my diagnostic. My verbal sucked -> 7 however haha). THe main reason I took it is because it would keep me motivated. Furthermore, all of my friends took it (Kaplan said that around half of the ppl who write the mcat in Ottawa took their course). Since the Mcat is marked on a curve, I didn't want to fall behind by not knowing a certain test taking strategy. Also, Kaplan give you 5 Full Length simulation MCATs so by the time you write the real thing, it would just seem like an extra one.

So yeah, to sum up what I said. If youre going the prep method > do the prep and buy the examkrackers verbal for extra verbal practice.

If you're not doing the prep, buy the Gold Standard book (or that set off eBay), the Examkrackers verbal and physics, and go on the AAMC website and buy the practice MCATs.

If youre gonna write the MCAT, do it once, and do it with no regrets. You don't want to go through this process again next year.

I'd advised not doing it so early, but if you are, then good luck!

Archived