Premed 101 Forums

CBT vs. PBT

Guest archchivalry

Guest archchivalry

I am trying to choose between CBT vs. PBT

The problem is, I think my weakest point is at vr and ws, so I really wanted to type my essay(so I can do it faster). But, if I take CBT, I think I'll slow down at vr (cuz I can't annotate, and it's harder to look for detail)

What do you guys think about this? What form of MCAT are you guys writing for this Aug? and why?

Also, is the CBT same length as PBT?(same # of questions and same 2 essays?AAMC doesn't seem to specify that)

Guest Gavanshir

I'm taking the PBT, since it's the last version and I don't want to regret not having taken it. I believe the CBT has 33% less questions on all sections, I don't quite remember if one of the essays was cut out too but you can find that info on AAMC, they have an FAQ and a whole section devoted to the new CBT MCAT.

Also, I thought the CBT wasn't being offered in Canada this August..?

PS. I envy you if your weaknesses are in WS and VR since mine seem to be the opposite. Also, I dont think you'd need to look for much details in the vr passages, so I don't think that should slow you down much. Just get the main idea.

Guest archchivalry

Does anyone know if CBT and PBT are scaled separately? or are they scaled together?

(I don't think it's fair for PBT people then..)

Guest nbmom

seeings how they scale different versions of the PBT administered on the same day seperately I think it is safe to say that they will scale a completely different test seperately.

My friend did a pilot test of the cbt verbal and she said you watched videos and the questions were regarding what you watched, it wasn't all reading passages.

Guest muchdutch

Anybody have ideas on why they would have shortened the number of questions? Technically on a computer we could do more, faster, no? And because typing is on the whole faster than writing, we could do 3 essays. Not that I'm suggesting that we do more essays, I'm just wondering why they shortened it.

Also, anybody have any ideas on how a computer can grade an essay outside of punctuation and grammar??!?! This one really confuses me...

Guest muchdutch

wow - 5 1/2 hours with no lunch break sounds kind of brutal...

Smaller, climate-controlled computer testing rooms

:lol :lol

This kills me - doesn't this essentially mean it will be indoors? Just like the PBT? Although on my testing day it was ~25 outside but was ~15 inside so perhaps remedying situations like this is what they mean.....

Archived