Premed 101 Forums

Two months study - no improvement

Guest heho

Guest heho

Hey,

wondering if anyone else has been in this situation.

I took a practice test for PS two months ago.. did very poorly, and thus studied. Took another test this weekend, scored the same, actually, a 6 point drop in the raw score.

How is this possible? I went from no chem to understanding the bulk of the material perfectly (and knowing the formulas, something I had no clue about before!)

I've looked over the test, and many errors are the result of misreading or calculating, but there are many errors I can not blame on that!

I have 2.5 months left... what do you think?

Guest UR1FOOLINS

You'll be fine. Understanding the material is the least appetizing part of studying. Your score only starts to increase once you plow through as many practice materials as you can.

I think that's why everyone says the best way to succeed on the mcat is practice practice practice.

They wouldn't say it three times if it wasn't important.

(i'm currently studying the material, making notes, hoping that i'll learn enough to be able to start practicing soon)

Guest piratefan

heho,

it's pretty common for people to do worse on their second diagnostic test than the first. the first time through, most people haven't studied, and are able to quickly skip past anything they don't understand, guessing as they go.

if you've studied more the second time around, you're prone to slow down, trying to nail all the passages that touch on material you think you should know. if your pacing is less than ideal, you may be losing marks on easy questions that come later in the section (these are marks that you probably earned the first time around).

as you get more comfortable with the test, you'll establish a pace that enables you to tackle most or all of the questions... if you've studied lots, you should be able to get most of them right. for now, i'd recommend on practicing lots, and making sure that you time yourself as you go through the passages.

good luck,

~pf

Archived