Premed 101 Forums

MCAT content

Guest Dockrh

Guest Dockrh

I am currently going to be going into first year @ Mac in Health Sciences. Does anybody know any good sites for the information we should know for the MCAT? What types of biology should we know? Is is purely cell biology?

Your thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated!

dockrh

Guest blinknoodle

Try the official MCAT website. They list exactly what will be fair game to be tested on the MCAT.

It has been a while since I wrote the MCAT, but I remember 1st year biology, biochem, and organic chem were integral to the biological sciences section. Physics and 1st year chem were part of the physical sciences section. There is no reason, though, to tailor your course selection for the MCAT, because you could easily learn the concepts yourself.

At Mac, I wrote the MCAT after 2nd year and found these courses helpful (you don't need to take them but I found them useful and took them primarily because I enjoyed the subject material):

biology: BIO 1A03/1AA3

chemistry: CHEM 1A03/1AA3

cell biology: HTH SCI 2K03 (or BIO 2B03 I think, cell bio)

anatomy/physiology: HTH SCI 2F03/2FF3

biochemistry: BIOCHEM 2EE3

organic chemistry: CHEM 2OA3/2OB3

physics: PHYSICS 1B03 (I never ended up taking the second half, 1BB3)

Guest treehuggingbiologist

If you're about to go into first year, then don't even worry about the mcat yet. They made a big change a few years back, and between now and when you write the mcat, more changes might be in place (the biggest of which would be the advent of CBT). Enjoy the last bit of high school you have left before university saps any semblence of soul and hope from your optimistic undergraduate husk.

Ofcourse, if you've completed another undergrad degree and this is the second then things change slightly.

Archived