Premed 101 Forums

Tuition Payment

Hi guys,

Maybe it's just late but I'm finally filling out the payment arrangement form and I have a question about payment in full vs. the installment plan. I can't see any possible reason to choose the installment plan, so maybe I'm missing something - let me know if I am!

Basically, I'm planning on using OSAP to pay for the majority of my tuition and then using my line of credit for the rest. So, I have two options:

1. Payment in full - use my line of credit to pay the entire $25,000 in September. As soon as I get my OSAP funding, use it to pay off my LOC as much as possible.

2. Installment plan - use my line of credit to pay $12,500 in September; pay the rest in January, with 14.4% annual interest added in the meantime. Apply OSAP funding to LOC/tuition as soon as I receive it.

Now, this is where I'm confused - the LOC has an interest rate of 3% so I can't figure out why anyone would choose option 2 (where you're basically opting to pay a 14.4% interest rate on half your tuition instead). Am I missing something here or is it just a really easy choice?

Hi guys,

Maybe it's just late but I'm finally filling out the payment arrangement form and I have a question about payment in full vs. the installment plan. I can't see any possible reason to choose the installment plan, so maybe I'm missing something - let me know if I am!

Basically, I'm planning on using OSAP to pay for the majority of my tuition and then using my line of credit for the rest. So, I have two options:

1. Payment in full - use my line of credit to pay the entire $25,000 in September. As soon as I get my OSAP funding, use it to pay off my LOC as much as possible.

2. Installment plan - use my line of credit to pay $12,500 in September; pay the rest in January, with 14.4% annual interest added in the meantime. Apply OSAP funding to LOC/tuition as soon as I receive it.

Now, this is where I'm confused - the LOC has an interest rate of 3% so I can't figure out why anyone would choose option 2 (where you're basically opting to pay a 14.4% interest rate on half your tuition instead). Am I missing something here or is it just a really easy choice?

As far as I understand, it's a really easy choice. You might get luck asking on the FB group.

I can't figure out why anyone would choose option 2 (where you're basically opting to pay a 14.4% interest rate on half your tuition instead). Am I missing something here or is it just a really easy choice?

You are correct in your assumption. It is an option for someone w/o a 3% line...although I can't imagine who that would be. Use the LOC, and put the OSAP into it for max savings.

My plan is to do #1 - pay in full with my LOC, and then apply my September and January OSAP payments back onto my LOC to minimize the interest I'm paying.

Also, I haven't filled out my forms yet, so don't worry about being behind! They're not due until June 30th, plenty of time left.

My plan is to do #1 - pay in full with my LOC, and then apply my September and January OSAP payments back onto my LOC to minimize the interest I'm paying.

Also, I haven't filled out my forms yet, so don't worry about being behind! They're not due until June 30th, plenty of time left.

Ha - actually when I said "maybe it's just late" I meant that it was 1 in the morning and maybe I was just doing the math wrong in my head :P.

Good to hear that I was thinking along the right lines then - glad to have that LOC to help with this stuff!

Archived