Premed 101 Forums

Car insurance for med students?

For those of you who have cars, in what range is your annual insurance cost? (roughly)

I'm considering buying a car. Although I have the full G license and a spotless record, I am in the dreaded male < 25 years old demographic. Insurance is gonna be expensive...

The cheapest quote I got online was with the OMA if I go with no comprehensive coverage or collision coverage is $2,500. If I put $1000 deductible, it goes up to $3,350. That's a loooooot of money just for insurance ...

Is that what people are paying?

(I'm asking in the Mac forum because these rates vary widely across cities/regions. My quotes are for Hamilton)

PS that's for a used 2009 Honda Accord

Yep, when I moved to Hamilton for med school, my insurance went up more than 1000$ a year. ridiculous.

Apparently the OMA has a deal, I had already just renewed my insurance when I found out about it last year, but I will definitely be checking that out this year.

Belairdirect has always had the cheapest quotes when I've done it. Mine is $1499 a year but that includes some discounts since my parents have their cars with them as well, but they have discounts for having winter tires and will give you a better rate if you also have rental insurance with them as well.

Belairdirect has always had the cheapest quotes when I've done it. Mine is $1499 a year but that includes some discounts since my parents have their cars with them as well, but they have discounts for having winter tires and will give you a better rate if you also have rental insurance with them as well.

They gave me $5k :o

I have no group code, nor do my parents. I will be renting a place that most likely won't have belairdirect home insurance, so yea.

Anyway, I think I'm backing off on this car idea. Not worth the cost imo

I've heard from friends who are in the same boat (male, under 25) that ~$3000 is pretty typical, which is nuts. I'll be turning 25 a couple months into clerkship so I'll probably hold out until then to get a car. Off hand, does anyone know how much cheaper it is for a 25+ year old male vs someone under 25?

I've heard from friends who are in the same boat (male, under 25) that ~$3000 is pretty typical, which is nuts. I'll be turning 25 a couple months into clerkship so I'll probably hold out until then to get a car. Off hand, does anyone know how much cheaper it is for a 25+ year old male vs someone under 25?

With a clean driving history and > 5 years with a license, much cheaper.

You can definitely survive pre-clerkship without a car.

McMaster students tend to be good about giving rides to each other if there's an academic commitment that requires it. The HSR is also fairly easy to use and comes often enough to make it reasonable to get around the city.

i had 0 insurance history, <25 male. i pay 222/mo through Queen's alumni, by far the best quote I could get (way better than OMA), so do check with alumni

That's about the same as the OMA for me. $217 per month from them. I will check with my UG alumni :)

EDIT: meh, $238. So far OMA is the best

Archived