Premed 101 Forums

Gold Standard vs Kaplan Comprehensive Review

Guest alan15

Guest alan15

Hi all,

I'm fortunate enough to have access to both the Gold Standard MCAT review and the newest edition of Kaplan Comprehensive Reivew (the bible) but can't decide on using which one. I'm writing my MCAT in august and will be studying by myself. I just finished second year and have taken all the med school prereq science courses so I figured my study plan would be to just go over one prep book as soon as possible (1 month max) and then just write as many practise exams as possible. If any one has taken the MCAT and has used either one, would you care to share your comments on them? which one would you recommend?

Much appreciated

Guest maritimehopeful

I used both books to prep for the MCAT. The Gold Standard is a good overview book, while the KCR was helpful for going into more detail for each of the subjects. Together, I thought that they provided a really comprehensive prep. If you've already done the courses, then maybe Kaplan would be alright, but the Gold Standard would be a good intro to each of the topics, while Kaplan would be your main study guide. Good luck studying!

Guest maritimehopeful

The review itself took a little over a month and a half (daily review of each subtopic). Then it was all practice tests from there on in. I hope this helps!

Guest alan15

Has anyone used solely the Gold Standard to prep for the MCAT without consulting any other prep book and found it sufficient to do well on the actual MCAT? I found its science review material too densely compacted and does not go as nearly into detail as the KCR does. Is this designed purposefully by the author so that readers absorb only the essence of the materials and thus able to get by with the least possible amount of studying or is it just a shortcoming of the book itself?

Thanks in advance!

Guest shetland23

ha ha ha avenir.

Well I (and a friend) depended solely on Gold Standard, he actually read all of the pages... whereas I skimmed. But I did alot of practice test online.

We both got into med schools.

What schools would you like to read medicine at?

Guest avenir001

well shetland I think my best chances are at ubc and queens since I'm from bc and was once a bad, bad student with a couple of yrs with low gpa :P

I'm currently studying for the mcat on my own using KCR but I keep thinking to myself there's gotta be more detail to things that this book goes into so I think I'm gonna get the ExamKracker books as well.

Anyway, congrats on getting into med school...you must be naturally smart and/or really strong in all the sciences cuz skimming would never work for me for a test like the mcat. I hope I'll have enough time to study all science sections thoroughly + practice WS + VR...seems like so much to do in so little time:eek

Guest shetland23

thank you for your kind words. i wish my brain skills in science translates into my GPA... but it didnt.

i did practice tests and i actually like close reading or critical reading whatever you call it. i took alot of literary courses which taught me how to read and deduce. sometimes i think a law or arts student will excell in MCAT.

Good Luck!! please let me know how it went. Cheers.

ps I was too once a bad student. but this year I will try to change. I dont want to flunk out of med school.

Archived