Premed 101 Forums

Admission requirements

Guest Aaliyah

Guest Aaliyah

I'm going into my second year and was considering of applying to mcmaster medical school. I am just unaware of what the requirements are for admission. I know they do look at MCAT verbal scores (only section) and GPA, but I was also wondering if they give much importance to volunteer or reference letters, or are they more concerned about marks?

Just to add to what ProvenGuilty posted above (which has most of the info you're looking for), ECs are pretty much only important insofar as how you are able to talk about them on CASPer and in the interview. You do need to submit reference letters, but I'm not entirely sure how they're used. Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I've heard that they're only looked as a tiebreaker.

Just to add to what ProvenGuilty posted above (which has most of the info you're looking for), ECs are pretty much only important insofar as how you are able to talk about them on CASPer and in the interview. You do need to submit reference letters, but I'm not entirely sure how they're used. Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I've heard that they're only looked as a tiebreaker.

this is with respect to the reference letters. I attended the info session at Mac for MD admissions last year. The lady was very explicit in that the reference letters do not carry much weight, unless they relfect very poorly on you. I mean you dont want to give a reference that rates you as the worst, most unethical student of your batch

this is with respect to the reference letters. I attended the info session at Mac for MD admissions last year. The lady was very explicit in that the reference letters do not carry much weight, unless they relfect very poorly on you. I mean you dont want to give a reference that rates you as the worst, most unethical student of your batch

I think that's generally the case everywhere. The reference letters are more of a pass/fail type thing, really. Positive reference letters are pretty much just a requirement - they won't make you stand out, but a bad reference letter would be a bit of a red flag. Makes sense - if you can't find three people who think you're a good person, then that's a bit concerning :P

Archived