Premed 101 Forums

prep course for MCAT

Guest samwise

Guest samwise

Hello,

I'm debating whether I want to take a prep course this summer. I will most likely take a kaplan one because it fits with my work schedule (its online). I was wondering what the actual value of these courses are. I was also just thinking of buying on of those MCAT prep books instead. Does this course do a good job preparing the students for the critical thinking/writing portions of the test? That would be one reason why I would want to take the course instead of just buying the book.

Thanks!

Guest Maelswarm

I didn't take a course, but got some PR materials from a friend.

IMO, the courses don't prepare you for critical thinking. What I'm referring to is reading a question on a subject you've never dealt with before, and being able to break it down and figure it out logically. I think that's something you've got to have developed throughout your undergrad, I don't think there's a special formula/algorithm that anyone can teach you to do them.

With a prep course though, you'll get feedback on your writing (referring to WS here). I could've used some feedback, but it turned out alright in the end anyway (I got a Q).

Guest 4shattered4

I was just wondering if anyone knew ~ how does the online thing work? Can't someone just paste all the materials and start sending it around to share the costs? (not that I'm suggesting this is ethical...but it seems like a loop hole). Thanks for the info!

Archived