Premed 101 Forums

Business students at Medical School?

Hi Everyone,

I am a fourth year student at a top Canadian business school and developed an interest in medicine in the past year. However, due to the unique structure of my program, I was not able to take any science electives to prepare for the MCAT. With that said, I know that the McMaster MD program only looks at the VR section, which is doable for people with any background.

If anyone is affiliated with the Mac MD program on this forum, I would appreciate if you can share your opinion on business undergrads at Mac (if you've come across any), how they are viewed by the admission committee, and how well they actually perform in medical school. Or just general, non-science to med school success stories.

Thank you! :)

I'm not a business school graduate but I can at least speak to my slightly non-traditional experience. I did my undergrad in engineering and then went to work in business (not related to engineering or science at all) for a little over a year before getting into med school.

A couple of things I was struck by during the whole application/interview process:

1. Nobody really cared about my background at all. To be honest, the only time it ever came up was if I brought it up. I had kind of expected some skepticism from the adcoms because I wasn't a traditional science student but that couldn't have been further from the truth - until I brought it up myself, no one seemed to care (or even know) about it at all.

2. In interviews, when I did discuss my background, the response from the interviewers was always genuine enthusiasm and interest, not skepticism. It ended up launching a lot of fun conversations about what I'd done in the past, what I'd learned, and how it led me to medicine. I got the sense that they appreciated a backstory that was a bit different - if anything it felt like an advantage, not a disadvantage.

3. I was really struck by the diversity of different backgrounds of my fellow applicants at every interview. I had expected the applicant pool to be fairly homogenous but I met people who had majored in everything from music to English to business, and everything in between. If there's one thing I would go back and tell myself before applying, it's this: you're not as unusual as you think :)

As for the MCAT - if you only want to write the VR section then that's totally up to you, but it is possible to learn the science topics as well if you're really interested. When I decided to write it, I hadn't taken physics or chemistry beyond a couple of half-courses in my first semester of undergrad, and I had never taken a biology course (not even in high school). A few months of focused studying were enough to learn the basics - the MCAT doesn't test anything really in-depth, so you can definitely learn the material if you really want to (and I studied while working 40 hours a week as well).

So, long story short: look at your business background as an advantage, not a disadvantage. It's interesting and it makes you stand out, so it should help you, both in the application process and in medical school - having a different perspective is always a good thing. Good luck!

If anyone is affiliated with the Mac MD program on this forum, I would appreciate if you can share your opinion on business undergrads at Mac (if you've come across any), how they are viewed by the admission committee, and how well they actually perform in medical school. Or just general, non-science to med school success stories.

There are a number of business students in my year. I'd be happy to put you in touch with them if you PM me.

how well they actually perform in medical school.

I had this question also and talked with several Mac students. The general consensus I got was 1. Mac will teach you everything you need to know so don't worry about prior knowledge and 2. while non-science majors may have a more challenging first year, by year two you should be on even ground

Don't let a business background stop you or worry you. Go for it if medicine is what you want. As others have suggested in this forum, its a good idea to get the basics down, write the MCAT and apply broadly to increase your chances.

Best of luck.

1 and 2 are not exactly true. Mac is a good school for people of all backgrounds, but generally those with non-science backgrounds would need to work harder. Since we have no formal evaluations, the realization of where you stand only comes when you start having some clinical experience. A satisfactory rating (the highest you can get) does not really tell you much. With regard to 1. Mac has cases on the basics and with self-directed learning, people put in variable amounts of work with different levels of dedication. Learning about other very important stuff is up to you and it is easy to figure out what the other stuff should be as you move along the program and start deciding your specialty. 2. No one is ever on even ground. Everyone has a different focus and again people put in different amounts of work.

I had this question also and talked with several Mac students. The general consensus I got was 1. Mac will teach you everything you need to know so don't worry about prior knowledge and 2. while non-science majors may have a more challenging first year, by year two you should be on even ground

Don't let a business background stop you or worry you. Go for it if medicine is what you want. As others have suggested in this forum, its a good idea to get the basics down, write the MCAT and apply broadly to increase your chances.

Best of luck.

I passed on the opinions received from other Mac students. You have your views, too, as stated below. Obviously I have no personal experience on the matter.

Certainly some people work harder and not all are equally competent but we can apply that broadly to all aspects of life, in any career or university program. At the end of the day, non-science students become doctors. I think that was the original point they were getting at.

1 and 2 are not exactly true. Mac is a good school for people of all backgrounds, but generally those with non-science backgrounds would need to work harder. Since we have no formal evaluations, the realization of where you stand only comes when you start having some clinical experience. A satisfactory rating (the highest you can get) does not really tell you much. With regard to 1. Mac has cases on the basics and with self-directed learning, people put in variable amounts of work with different levels of dedication. Learning about other very important stuff is up to you and it is easy to figure out what the other stuff should be as you move along the program and start deciding your specialty. 2. No one is ever on even ground. Everyone has a different focus and again people put in different amounts of work.

I passed on the opinions received from other Mac students. You have your views, too, as stated below. Obviously I have no personal experience on the matter.

Certainly some people work harder and not all are equally competent but we can apply that broadly to all aspects of life, in any career or university program. At the end of the day, non-science students become doctors. I think that was the original point they were getting at.

Well then that's what you should've written if that's what you were trying to get at.

Archived