Premed 101 Forums

Bio chem and phys chem

Guest vmilan

hey guys,

could anyone who's taken the MCAt please tell me if I need to take BioChem n Phys Chem for MCAT preparation. I am intending on taking them but that will be after the MCATs. How will this affect my preparation? How much material on the MCAts is taken from Biochem and Phys Chem? Thanks for replying guys.

Milan.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi,

On the MCAT, there is generally more material appearing that is relevant to an introductory biochemistry course than to an introductory physical chemistry course. That being said, there is more emphasis within the physical and biological sciences sections on 1st year chemistry, physics and biology courses, as well as organic chemistry, physiology and molecular biology. If you can handle the pre-requisite courses for intro biochemistry and physical chemistry then you should have little problem with the science that is covered by the MCAT or, at least, no problem learning it. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

hey thanks for the reply...but do you think it sensible to delay taking the intro Biochem until after I write the MCAT's ( as a prerequisite for some universities)because taking it now would make my course load super heavy. in other words, will I be able to perform well even without taking biochemistry?and physical chemistry?

thanks in advance

Milan.

It's not necessary to do a biochem course before the MCAT. There is minimal biochem on it and prep materials such as kaplan/princeton/examkrackers are enough.

I think that the difficulty of chemistry in the physical sciences section is at high school level. That being said, first year chem is more than enough for the chemistry portion.

Good luck.

Madz

Archived