Premed 101 Forums

TIMING

Guest dr555

Hey fellow mcat - ers

I thought I'd share an analogy with you that thought added a less stressful view to the "little quiz" we have on Saturday. Treat this MCAT like you would picking a boyfriend/girlfriend....if you don't do well this time, know that the next one who comes along will be all that much hotter!

On that note, does anyone NOT pay attention to timing at all when going through all the sections? I know some people are pretty hardcore, but I'm leaning towards just going as fast as possible, skipping all the harder ones, then coming back. Does anyone else have this strategy?

Good luck!

dr555

Guest DoNair

I heavily follow timing for the VR (9 mins/passage) and somewhat for the WS (5 mins to plan, 23 mins to write, 2 to proof-read).

For the BS and PS I usually finish with plenty of time to spare but I keep an eye on the clock to ensure I stick to 9 mins/passage at least. It usually turns out to be 5 mins/passage at the begininning leaving me with plenty of time for the last 2-3 passages. This is only because I have a science degree and scored 12's on the sciences last year. I really only worry about VR and PS.

Thats what I do. Anyone else care to share?

First off: Great analogy 555! :)

Overall, timing hasn't been a huge issue for me either: I tend to just keep an eye on the clock. For the Writing Sample I am following a similar plan: ~ 5 mins to plan each essay, 20 mins to write, followed by 5 mins to review. I've been well below the allotted times for VR and BS, but for PS I am just trying to read over passages relatively quickly, so to get the general idea of the experiment etc, then referring back to the passage for specific details. I also skip the more difficult questions and return to them at the end. This method has allowed me to stay within the time limit for PS. I hope this helps: good luck tomorrow!!

Wow, great timing guys.

I find that I finish 5 minutes before for BS...JUST on time for PS (if not 3-5 minutes) and have an entire passage to go for VR. Hopefully the pressure tomorrow will help me move along.

Guest Meddream

I'm exactly the same as you...right on time for PS, about 20 min for BS, and one passage left to go for VR... I get a bit short of time on essay also...yeah I hope pressure makes me smarter and faster!!! I heard it ususally makes ppl opposite tho..:D :lol

G'luck everyone!!

Archived