Premed 101 Forums

mcat while working/taking classes ?

Alexaa.

Hi!

I know there are people who take the mcat while working 40hours a week and score 30++ but i'm pretty sure i'm not smart enough to do the same so i need advices haha. i'm supposed to take the mcat next summer only but i'm already stressing about not working and money issues. (yes, i'm a year early, i know) basically, i feel like i won't be able to afford 3rd year if i don't work at all since i already taking too much loans for undergrad and my parents can't help me much.

i haven't take all the prereqs classes (i took bio, and i will be taking chem, physiology 1 & physic 1 this year) so i will have to teach myself orgo and physic 2.

i want to know if i should either start studying during spring (review bio + VR) and then study full time for 1 month and half or if i should try to work part time and study at the same time during 3 months or if this is actually really risky/stupid and should just do like most people and take 3 months off.

i feel like i would be taking a huge risk but money stress is not cool.

(and i know i will have to take tooooons of loan for med school but at least, i know i will, for sure, get a job to pay them back after. i can't say that right now...)

I honestly think the 'you can't work and prepare for the MCAT' thing is overblown.

I have about three hours a night to study because I come home from work, cook supper, clean, play with the kids and pets, get the kids ready for bed and then study until bedtime. I'm writing on Friday and consistently scoring well over 30 on every practice test. Even had one that was a 42.

If you're working a full time job, you still have a ton of time to study. Easily 6 hours a day if you use podcasts/audio lessons while commuting and cooking and on breaks at work.

I think it is a lot more about time management than the number of straight months you put into studying. I really doubt most MCAT takers can afford to take months off purely for studying; life just doesn't work that way for most people, so I think that is much less common than forums like this may make it seem. If you are consistent and dedicated, I see absolutely no reason you can't do it while working.

That said, I have not written yet myself so my tune may chance when my scores come in next month. :D

Archived