Premed 101 Forums

should I write the mcat????

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest dogeatdog12

Hey guys

i am not at all prepared for the mcat. i've done maybe one reading through of the material and I wanna write this test this upcoming weekend. i wasn't dilligent enough this summer.

anywa,y, i am aiming for an 8,8,8 cuz I know i have decent marks and I was told i would get an interview at a school i like. however, I know i would do better with more time but i am not sure if that would work out for me right now.

if i dont' meet the cutoff and i still wrote i dont' personally care too much. I tried and I will write it again and take one fo those stupid courses. however, I would kill myself if I don't write it and waste another year.

my question is two layered: 1) if i do really badly, would it be a bad thing. I mean would it be bad in future applications? suppose i get a 6,7,6 and write it later and get a 12,10,12 .. would it be better just to have the latter score ? would the first score taint my future forever?

2) how hard is it for an 8,8,8 ? does it require a great deal of understanding? can I pull it off? i am a bio student and need to review that but i think overall i am fairly sound in that area.

Guest Madz25

Each school considers the MCAT differently. It's safe to say that most (if not all) schools look at all writings.

I honestly don't know how 'bad' it would be. My thoughts are, if you're not prepared then why go through with it now? Why waste an entire saturday and torture yourself writing the MCAT when you know you wont do well enough to meet the cutoffs? Why waste so much money writing the test?

That obviously doesnt answer your questions...

Madz

I would suggest trying a practice test and to see how you do. If you get close to 6 or 7 (or even 8s): why not write? You've already registered, and it would be good prep of the whole writing process if you do have to rewrite. At least you'll have given it a chance: and who knows: maybe you'll get your 8s and never have to worry about it again! On the other hand, you may regret postponing it by a year. I'm pretty sure most schools don't look at how you did before, especially not the school that I think you're talking about. This is just some advice, but I hope it helps a little :)

Guest stepstofollow
my question is two layered: 1) if i do really badly, would it be a bad thing. I mean would it be bad in future applications? suppose i get a 6,7,6 and write it later and get a 12,10,12 .. would it be better just to have the latter score ? would the first score taint my future forever?

In a nutshell, no. Most people write the exam more than once. The first score will not taint your future forever. If you have already paid the fee -- then write it.

Would it be better to have the latter score -- well, some will say yes, some will say no -- if you only have that score then you demonstrated you've achieved relatively competitive scores on one go. If it is a subsequent testing then it shows you were still able to achieve competitive scores. However, if you write a couple of times and the scores don't change much -- that may indicate an upper level of your ability.

I would not worry about it AT ALL. Write the test if you feel adequately prepared and apply if you meet the cutoffs. I wrote the MCAT twice -- and doing so did not in anyway affect my admission application review.

As for schools looking at the score history -- they do look -- but it's more for getting some overall perspective. What you should do is reconfirm this with your school of interest -- iet through the Dean of admissions -- who is usually more than happy to answer such questions.

2) how hard is it for an 8,8,8 ? does it require a great deal of understanding? can I pull it off? i am a bio student and need to review that but i think overall i am fairly sound in that area<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>

This is a confusing question. Only you can attest to your level of understanding just before the exam, -- I'm not sure than anyone else can comment on that. Can you pull it off? Well -- surely -- you might. But you might not....only you can attest to how much you have prepared in all the areas. Certainly with a Bio back ground and effort in all the other areas which require effort, and practice writing the tests -- you have as great an opportunity as anyone to showcase your effort from studying all summer! If you are not all prepared -- you will find you may do well in one section, but at all in others. Particularly, VR. While it won't really hurt you to write it -- it does seem like a waste of $ and a beautiful Saturday if you have not prepared to write it.

As for which school accepts a 24, it is Dalhousie. The MCAT is used as weeding out factor for admissions. If you meet all the minimum criteria for a maritime applicant - you will be interviewed. This DOES NOT mean that you are COMPETITIVE. They then look at your MCAT in context of all the other features of your application. 8's will get you an interview -- but the Average score is 28/29 . Over 300 Maritime applicants are interviewed, all of whom will have achieved at least 8's -- but most likely higher -- all with strong applications.

From admissions.medicine.dal.ca/faqs.htm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> MCAT Information

21. What is the minimum MCAT score that I must achieve?

Maritime applicants must achieve a total score of 24 with an 8 in each of the three numerical categories. You can have one numerical score of 7 but must compensate for this in one of the other categories to ensure you have the total of 24.

Non-Maritime applicants must achieve a total score of 30 with a 10 in each category. One 9 can be achieved as long as the total score is 30.

23. Which courses would better prepare me for the MCAT?

Courses in General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biology and Physics at the first and second year level are said to be sufficient preparation for the writing of the MCAT.

24. Can I get into Dalhousie Medical School with the minimum MCAT total score of 24?

Each year a small number of students are admitted with a total MCAT score of 24 although the average MCAT score for applicants is 28.

25. Will my application be considered if my total MCAT score is 23?

Applications with a total MCAT score of less than 24 are not considered. There are no exceptions to this rule.

26. How is the score on the MCAT writing sample considered?

The Admissions Committee looks at the score on the Writing Sample with interest but it is not factored into the decision.

27. Is it true that Dalhousie is considering dropping the MCAT requirement?

There have been no discussions regarding eliminating the MCAT requirement.

28. If I have written the MCAT more than once which set of marks will be considered?

The Admissions Committee considers the set of marks that you indicate on your application form.

29. I wrote the MCAT four years ago. Can I still use these results as part of my application?

MCAT results are good for five years. If the MCAT has been written more than five years prior to application it would have to be rewritten.

32. How much weight does the Admissions Committee place on the MCAT?

Although the MCAT score is an important part of the application process it does not carry undue weight. It is considered along with your university transcripts as an indication of your aca

<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Good luck with your decision.

Archived