Premed 101 Forums

Poor grades

Hey guys,

Is there any way to circumvent the 3.0 GPA requirement at McMaster? From my understanding, U of T has a section of the application where one can explain poor grades. Does McMaster have a similar application segment? I read about the special applicant pool, but that's for part time students with excellent ECs.

Thanks in advance!

Even if you could circumvent the GPA requirement GPA is ~32% pre interview score. I have never seen anyone with a GPA lower than 3.3 get an interview. People who get an interview generally need 3.7 or greater (unless VR is really high).

As for getting them to ignore poor grades there is no section for that; however, it does not hurt to write them and ask whether they would overlook them. You would likely need documentation if they agree. Honestly though, I bet there are a lot of applicants with a situation similar to you and they likely do not have the resources to deal with exemption requests.

Hey guys,

Is there any way to circumvent the 3.0 GPA requirement at McMaster? From my understanding, U of T has a section of the application where one can explain poor grades. Does McMaster have a similar application segment? I read about the special applicant pool, but that's for part time students with excellent ECs.

Thanks in advance!

Even for U of T, you need a pretty solid 'extenuating circumstances' explanation to account for a GPA below 3.0.

Your chances of getting into med school with a <3.0 GPA are very, very, very slim. You need: (1) a miracle, or (2) to do something to get your GPA in the 3.8+ range for at least 2 year's of time to make Queen's and Western's GPA requirement.

P.S. To answer your initial question, I don't think that you can circumvent the minimum GPA requirement of 3.0 because you've got to at least prove that you can handle a rigorous program of studies to thrive in med school. How do you think you're going to get through med school if you're having a hard time with your undergrad?

Archived