Premed 101 Forums

How many full lenghts to do?

Guest Alexa

Hi,

How many full lengths have you done so far? I know more is better but now that it is getting kinda late, would it be better to review formula (I have trouble with a lot of physics ones) or do more full lengths.

Guest kaymcee

I've only done one. Working full-time has made writing more full-length tests very difficult.

I have, however, done lots of single sections, so I have the individual section timing down. I'm pretty sure I have the mental stamina to do the full day, but that is one of the things I'm worried about. However, I think adrenaline will have a starring role in getting through the day– something you can't simulate.

As for your situation, I'd say that the best thing you can do for yourself right now is improve your confidence. If that means becoming more familiar with physics problems, then by all means, do more physics problems. Of course, if you have time, writing a full-length MCAT or two never hurts, but I think they should come second to getting your confidence up. Walking into the test on Saturday with some 11's and 12's on a few practice PS sections under your belt will likely make you feel better than writing a full-length MCAT.

Guest frenchfrog

So far I've done seven practice tests.

I think the only way of getting used to the format and the real timing (with breaks) is to do a full-length practice; you become more comfortable with writing the exam and know realistically what to expect come Aug 20.

Your confidence will be boosted when you see your improvent, as you do more full-length tests.

By doing the tests and reviewing your answers, you will get a feel for which specific formulas you are having trouble remembering and then you can work on memorizing those.

Full-length tests are time-consuming but I don't think I would get ready for the MCAT any other way.

If you have the time, I'd do 2-3 this week. However, I strongly advise you don't do one every day this week because you'll exhaust yourself and get bored of them. Also, don't do a full-length on Friday. (Kaplan's example is that a marathoner never runs a marathon the day before the big race).

Guest arjuna83

I've been doing one AAMC practice test every Saturday for the last 6 weeks or so. Since the beginning, I've noticed that I've become more comfortable with the test format and improved along the way. I second what was posted earlier that practice tests should definitely be part of one's study schedule. If you can get hold of some, you should try and complete a couple of them this week but don't ignore your physics problems either.

Archived