Premed 101 Forums

cancelling mcat scores?

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest dogeatdog12

how does this feature work? if you cancel the mcat scores does this mean the scores are not released to university no matter how well you do?

what happens if you do well and want to release your scores afterwards.

i found this on the student doctor forums.

On the day of the test, you are offered the "Score Release" option, which will allow you to choose whether your MCAT scores are released to medical schools. When your scores arrive about 60 days after the test, you can release them to the schools of your choice. If you do not like your scores, you do not have to send them. If you retake the test, perform better, and choose to release the second set of scores, medical schools will get a report indicating that you took the test twice, but they will only have access to your second score

any clarification would be nice. can schools still get yoru makrs if you choose to release the marks after you get them if you chose to cancel yoru scores?

Guest DoNair

There is no cancelling of mcat "scores". You cancel the exam, it's actually called "voiding your test".

What this means is that before you hand in your exam on test day you tell the proctors that you want to void your exam. This means that it WILL NOT BE MARKED and THIS IS FINAL. You CANNOT choose to score this exam at a later time.

Now that the AAMC put their score release program online, you don't need to agree to any score releases on test day. When you apply to med schools you need to send them your MCAT scores to prove that what you say you got is what you actually got. You need to log on to the MCAT THx portion of the AAMC website and release the scores to the specific schools you want. When you do this you show them ALL the scores you EVER got (since the 1991 test administrations. If you have pre-1991 scores, there is a separate procedure for this. Consult the AAMC website.) If you voided your test on the test day then you will not have a set of scores for that sitting. I am not sure if the medical schools will see that you voided the exam or not, check that out on your own.

You should know that once you write a test, hand it in and do not void it, then the scores are permanent. You cannot hide these scores. If you rewrite the MCAT and do better, and then later submit your new scores to a med school, the old scores will be sent as well. It's like taking a course in university. You can't just send your CHEM 101 marks, you send ALL the marks you ever got, good or bad. There is no selecting which marks to send.

I hope this helps clarify your problem. If you need more help, please post again. To others, if I have said something incorrect, then please correct me.

Guest kaymcee

Although the analogy of the MCAT score being "permanent" like a passed university course is apt, the permanence of your MCAT score is not like that of a course. You can re-write the MCAT, with the large majority of schools considering the best set of scores and the rest considering the most recent. For that reason alone, I don't think there's any reason not to score your test.

So, if you've been studying for the last couple months, don't waste that time (and money); write the test and have it scored.

Guest dogeatdog12

hey guys

i have one other question. i am essentially aiming for an 8.8.8

i wasn't very dilligent this summer for many reasons and I was hoping for a good mark. however, i know 15,15,15 is out of the question. however, I would like an 8.8.8 to get an interview somewhere. you never know i migth not have to take it again.

anyway, would it be foolish to write not being 100% fully prepared. how hard is it for an 8 on each section. i appreciate your help

Guest kaymcee

If you look at the AAMC website, you'll see their reports of the average scores and distribution of scores amongst all test takers. The combined April/August 2004 test report is here (it's a .pdf).

The average for each section is about an 8, and this has been consistent over the years. A sum of 24-26 seems to be about the mean.

As for how difficult it is to get eights without much studying, it depends on who you ask. Eights will be easier for a person with a science background, as he probably has more "intuition" with which to answer the science questions. People who have studied English tend to do quite well on the verbal section. I find I struggle with the VR section, pulling 9's with the odd 10, but the PS and BS sections haven't been posing much of a problem. Sorry I can't give you a more concrete answer.

I think you should aim for something higher than eights. Honestly, 8-8-8 (24) will serious jeopardize your application to every school except MacMaster, NOSM, and Ottawa which don't require the MCAT. I still think you should write it, though, because it will give you the experience and you'd lose $90 if you decided to pull out now.

...and who knows, maybe you'll get the 45.

Guest kaymcee

I still disagree. The whole point of writing the MCAT, for me at least, would be to have it scored. Otherwise, what are you writing for? You can get a feel for the MCAT by getting some practice tests.

Archived