Premed 101 Forums

Tips for first year!

tee87

Most papers I write are graded at 90%+ for 3rd/4th year courses. With that said, my professors aren't pompous and obscure. They are clear about their expectations and welcome questions from students. I also come from a social science background, so I write a lot of papers. Practice makes perfect.

What kind of tips are you looking for? Are you asking about other people's processes?

Typically I spend many, MANY hours researching articles inside and out. My topic sometimes changes slightly with the articles I find. I do rough outlines. I send rough drafts to profs and visit them during office hours. I find sources from online journals and books at the library. Once I get into a paper writing groove, I don't stop until I can't bear to write anymore. Before I hand it in, I have people read it over to check for spelling/grammatical errors. Etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most papers I write are graded at 90%+ for 3rd/4th year courses. With that said, my professors aren't pompous and obscure. They are clear about their expectations and welcome questions from students. I also come from a social science background, so I write a lot of papers. Practice makes perfect.

What kind of tips are you looking for? Are you asking about other people's processes?

Typically I spend many, MANY hours researching articles inside and out. My topic sometimes changes slightly with the articles I find. I do rough outlines. I send rough drafts to profs and visit them during office hours. I find sources from online journals and books at the library. Once I get into a paper writing groove, I don't stop until I can't bear to write anymore. Before I hand it in, I have people read it over to check for spelling/grammatical errors. Etc.

Your professors are willing to look at rough drafts? Or just outlines?

I should definitely visit professors during office hours. Classes can be large and professors are busy people, but I might try to share an outline or share my ideas with them.

Your professors are willing to look at rough drafts? Or just outlines?

I should definitely visit professors during office hours. Classes can be large and professors are busy people, but I might try to share an outline or share my ideas with them.

Quite a few of them encourage us to send in entire drafts by a draft deadline. If your profs don't mention it, definitely ask them if they'd consider doing so for you.

Archived