Premed 101 Forums

Inclusion of Honours Project under Research

HeLa

Hi all,

My question has to do with honours projects and how one should go about listing them, if at all, in the OMSAS AB sketch.

On the OMSAS website, it clearly states that projects done as part of a university course do not qualify as research; however, I believe that most students still list their honours project anyway...but isn't that grounds for having their applications disqualified?

Any clarification would be much appreciated. Moreover, if anyone could direct me to an official resource that addresses this query I would be so grateful.

Cheers.

It's generally understood that your Honors project is an exception. The rule applies more to little projects you do as side components of other courses. This is not a hard cut difference but pretty much everyone lists their honors projects. I listed it and I interviewed at 4 schools so I don't think you have anything to lose.

They just don't want you to include research such as "in microbiology lab, studied the effect of x on cell line y". Or "biochem 2 lab - studied the process of protein formation"

No student really has any other type of research besides for honours projects or research internships, unless they find those rare summer research jobs.

It's generally understood that your Honors project is an exception. The rule applies more to little projects you do as side components of other courses. This is not a hard cut difference but pretty much everyone lists their honors projects. I listed it and I interviewed at 4 schools so I don't think you have anything to lose.

Do you think this applies for a 2nd year research project course?

Archived