Premed 101 Forums

My chances

marleyam

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if I have any hope for admissions into a US MD school. I'm planning on applying next year.

My undergrad cGPA is a 3.77.

I have taken the MCAT twice. The first time I got a 11/8/11 and the second time it dropped to a 10/8/10.

My ECs are pretty average clinical volunteering for 3 years, lab work for about a year and other smaller things.

Should I rewrite the MCAT or have I ruined my chances with the two previous tries?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hijack this thread (I didn't want to make a separate thread addressing the same question), but I wanted to know my chances for high- or mid/low- tier schools with a 32 MCAT (12,9,11) and a 3.95+ GPA.

Assume average ECs without physician shadowing/clinical research (only Lab research)

I know chances for high-tiers are probably very scarce, but I was wondering about mid/low-tiers (Wayne, Albert Einstein, George Washington, etc.)

Thanks.

PS. I won't name names, but I know you're reading this... LOL :P

Is it bad if I also stick myself in here? I need to decide on whether I should apply to American schools next year as I would need to take an English course over the summer probably.

cGPA: 3.77 (couple really bad courses, I can say with 95% confidence that it should be 3.83+ at the end of this year)

MCAT: 12/11/11

ECs: Hospital volunteering, a summer at a lab, tutoring, charity work. Nothing super amazing

If anyone could suggest a few schools that it would be worth sending an application to, that would be great.

30+ and >3.7 are the general areas,

theres no reason to keep brining up the same question/chances thread (esp when everyone has the same #'s)

once you pass the computer screen, they read your app fully, then you get an interview or not

at the INTERVIEW is where all the ECs are discussed

the interview (esp early) is a good chance of admission (id say 80% yes)

apply to alote of place, apply early, and apply DO (unless you wanna waste another year with applications)

you are all at the same area

*for the mcat nothing less than an 8

there are lists of schools listed on here, or spend the 30$ and get a calling card and call all the schools.

state schools will generally say no

states with 1-2 schools with generally not accept you

florida, nj, cali, ky, are no's

pa, tn, tx,and most southern states (ive heard of some) are question marks

best chances are: ny, mich, mass and pa are the best bet

this is a generalization

im recommending DO AND IMG

based on the following..you are close to the numbers, if you dont get accepted this cycle OR next, there isnt much you can do

its hard to pump up mcat from 35 to 40

ad hrd to pump an gpa from 3.8 to a 3.90

unless you do a masters and waste 2 years, your app is missing something-- most likely it is the luck of the draw

to play the numbers game, you apply to DO and IMG

goodluck

Archived