Premed 101 Forums

Co-op

How are courses taken during a year with 2 co-op terms evaluated?

What if I take organic chem/lab and other courses during the 3rd year with 2 co-op terms, will Uottawa take the grade in my gpa? assuming I have 3.9+ in first 2 years.

to clarify

yr1->3.78 study /study/summer

yr2->3.95 study/ co-op/ study

yr 3->co-op / study (3.0) with orgo + lab/co-op

yr4-> study (orgo 2) (3.0)/co-op/co-op

essentially is my gpa (3.78 x 1 + 3.96x2)/3 or do they also count teh grades from 3rd year and 4th year? Also are courses taken during these years satisfy the prerequisites?

Thanks

I finished my engineering undergrad in Waterloo, also co-op. Applied last year and applying again this year.

When I applied to UOttawa last year, the years with two co-op terms did not count towards my UOttawa wGPA. With this being said, you will need to make sure that you completed total of 3 years by the time you start UOttawa medical school. If you're applying for Fall 2014, then UOttawa will need you to complete 2013-2014 year with two study terms since only years 1 and 2 will count for your case.

As for Orgo, I think it should count towards prerequisites just not wGPA but it's best to ask UOttawa directly.

Hey thanks for the reply. You mentioned I should do three years. However is it 3 years with 2 study terms in each year or 3 years (15.0 credits)?

Thanks. Btw if you dont mind me asking, what is a competitive gpa for UOttawa?

I'm very certain that it's 3 years with 2 study terms in each year. Because I had more than 3 years equivalent courses when I applied last year, but UOttawa contacted me in November 2012 requiring me to confirm that my 2012-2013 year had two study terms.

For competitive GPA.. you should check out this link: http://www.medschoolplanner.com/index.php

Another user told me about this link (thanks Matti), and for UOttawa it says average GPA is 3.91(2012) with cutoff of: 3.85.

Hope this helps :)

Archived