Premed 101 Forums

Any US med schools that don't consider ALL post secondary marks?

ykim11

I spent 4 years in a Bachelor's degree program at Seneca College (but quit before i got my degree). My GPA is very poor from Seneca and I am planning to go to York for Biomed Sci to get better marks and go to the US for med/dentistry school. Are there any med/dentistry schools in the US that drop the marks from the first university? I know that most of them don't, but is there ANY school that does?

I spent 4 years in a Bachelor's degree program at Seneca College (but quit before i got my degree). My GPA is very poor from Seneca and I am planning to go to York for Biomed Sci to get better marks and go to the US for med/dentistry school. Are there any med/dentistry schools in the US that drop the marks from the first university? I know that most of them don't, but is there ANY school that does?

Are you in Senecas biotechnology program? medical schools don't care about college GPA as much compared to University GPA.

Read this thread.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29877

:)

No Zelda I'm in another program. And wouldn't my gpa be considered a university gpa since it's a 4 bachelor's degree program?

No, unfortunately. Only UBC med school and a few others in the west would consider a "college" degree. I have proof, let me go fetch it. Brb

I "used to" be in Seneca's aviation degree program. I quit in the fourth year before getting the degree to pursue a medical profession. Im currently not in any school but i'll prolly go into York's Biomed Sci program.

So are you saying canadian med schools besides the ones in the western provinces and the US won't consider the marks I got from Seneca for the cGPA calculation? Do you have any links that I can look at?

I "used to" be in Seneca's aviation degree program. I quit in the fourth year before getting the degree to pursue a medical profession. Im currently not in any school but i'll prolly go into York's Biomed Sci program.

So are you saying canadian med schools besides the ones in the western provinces and the US won't consider the marks I got from Seneca for the cGPA calculation? Do you have any links that I can look at?

I contacted a school where they have a "college" degree in biotech and the person who responded said that only the western provinces considered a college degree for admission such as UBC. I've even contacted a majority of the med schools in Ontario and they want a UNIVERSITY degree. You can go contact all the med schools you are thinking of applying to but, I personally think they are going to say the same thing. And it may take a month in order to get responses.

Email and give them a call in order to be sure.

Also what's your GPA by year?

If you're applying to US schools, you should be fine.

I contacted a school where they have a "college" degree in biotech and the person who responded said that only the western provinces considered a college degree for admission such as UBC. I've even contacted a majority of the med schools in Ontario and they want a UNIVERSITY degree. You can go contact all the med schools you are thinking of applying to but, I personally think they are going to say the same thing. And it may take a month in order to get responses.

Email and give them a call in order to be sure.

Also what's your GPA by year?

If you're applying to US schools, you should be fine.

Thanks Zelda. And it's much better for me if my college degree GPA isn't accounted for the cGPA because my marks from Seneca are terrible (3.1 cumulative). So I guess this is good news if I'm applying to Canadian med schools (because I can start fresh at another university) and bad news if I apply to US med schools (since my bad marks from Seneca are gonna bring down my cGPA)?

Thanks Zelda. And it's much better for me if my college degree GPA isn't accounted for the cGPA because my marks from Seneca are terrible (3.1 cumulative). So I guess this is good news if I'm applying to Canadian med schools (because I can start fresh at another university) and bad news if I apply to US med schools (since my bad marks from Seneca are gonna bring down my cGPA)?

Correct.

You are unfortunately screwed for US schools even with a 2nd UG but, you've got a shot at Canadian schools with a 2nd UG.

Archived