Premed 101 Forums

Summer school while studying for MCAT?

Cruciex

Hey all,

I am planning on doing physics and English pre reqs (U of A requirement for med school) during summer school. I despise English and I'm not very good at physics and this don't want to take it during the fall/winter because they'll definitely be gpa droppers (summer school courses aren't weighted in your gpa, or so I've read and been told).

I am planning to take the MCAT this summer. It's the last year before the exam is changed, and I would prefer to not have to do the new one if I can do well in 2014.

I'm in second year. Some might say well why don't you do these courses on the summer after third year? Well, I am wanting to get a position in research that summer.

So I guess the question is, what's the best course of action for me?

Take summer school courses (2 in spring, 2 in summer) and the MCAT in the same summer?

Take the courses in the following winter along with research? Is this do-able to any extent?

Any other viable options?

I'm not sure. Might just have to suck it up and take the courses during the regular school year. Any feedback would be great.

I've done summer courses before and generally they're much easier then the regular school year equivalents. Having said that, they have compressed schedules which means you're covering more material in shorter intervals.

If your'e planning on studying ahead of time , then maybe you can pull it off. If you're planning on doing the SN2 3 Month MCAT study schedule, then I highly doubt it.

You'll more than likely drop your GPA in those classes and have a lower MCAT score. The summer GPA probably wont be detrimental, but it still isn't optimal. The lower MCAT score will definitely limit your options and you may just end up re-writing in 2015.

I'd pick one or the other. MCAT this summer or classes this summer.

I think it largely depends on your study habit and your background. If you have a solid foundation in the MCAT subjects and you can manage your time wisely, you can definitely handle both in the same summer. I have seen many people do similar things, either MCAT with summer school or MCAT with a full time research job. But if you are horrible at using your time and a big procrastinator like me, then I would say choose one over the other.

. If your'e planning on studying ahead of time , then maybe you can pull it off. If you're planning on doing the SN2 3 Month MCAT study schedule, then I highly doubt it.

You'll more than likely drop your GPA in those classes and have a lower MCAT score. The summer GPA probably wont be detrimental, but it still isn't optimal. The lower MCAT score will definitely limit your options and you may just end up re-writing in 2015.

I'd pick one or the other. MCAT this summer or classes this summer.

I have read that U of A medical admissions takes the cumulative GPA of all courses you take that are done during the regular school year (and it says in brackets "I.e. Fall/winter") while registered as a full time student. As far as I can tell they don't take the grades of summer term courses in calculating the GPA for you for med admissions.

It's on this basis I would just work to pass the pre-req courses, not necessarily do well in them.

Guest levski21

I took my MCAT while taking a full year summer course while doing a research internship while travelling for 1 month in the summer.

take the courses. MCAT isn't about how much time you study, its about how you study it.

I took my MCAT while taking a full year summer course while doing a research internship while travelling for 1 month in the summer.

take the courses. MCAT isn't about how much time you study, its about how you study it.

Read : I did something most people did not do when preparing for the MCAT and it worked for me therefore you could do it too.

Why not do the MCAT this summer and take the English courses in the summer of next year? Taking the summer classes and studying for the MCAT will be too much.

Because I don't know if I can hold a research position and take those classes at the same time. If anyone has advice or experience with that route in particular...?

I studied for my MCAT for under 2 months while also working, volunteering, and taking a bio summer course (way more memorization than physics, english). Got over 11 in each section.

I think you will be fine doing both but if you really want to play it safe I would say hold off on the summer courses until next year. Probably better to make your research life tougher than your MCAT studying. I would even consider leaving them until after fourth year.

Hey all,

I am planning on doing physics and English pre reqs (U of A requirement for med school) during summer school. I despise English and I'm not very good at physics and this don't want to take it during the fall/winter because they'll definitely be gpa droppers (summer school courses aren't weighted in your gpa, or so I've read and been told).

I am planning to take the MCAT this summer. It's the last year before the exam is changed, and I would prefer to not have to do the new one if I can do well in 2014.

I'm in second year. Some might say well why don't you do these courses on the summer after third year? Well, I am wanting to get a position in research that summer.

So I guess the question is, what's the best course of action for me?

Take summer school courses (2 in spring, 2 in summer) and the MCAT in the same summer?

Take the courses in the following winter along with research? Is this do-able to any extent?

Any other viable options?

I'm not sure. Might just have to suck it up and take the courses during the regular school year. Any feedback would be great.

honestly man finish the pre-reqs before doing the mcat. do not study for them at the same time. itll make you so much more confident when you study for the mcat and you dont have to deal with the added stress. take the prereqs during the year if you can, man up and get them over with and then study for the mcat during the summer.

Similar situation except im in third year:

Should I do 2 spring classes and do MCAT in August or should I do one spring and one summer with MCAT in August? I could compress both courses in 6 weeks then have the rest of the summer to study full time. Or space it all out throughout summer and not waste 6 weeks of no mcat studying...

Similar situation except im in third year:

Should I do 2 spring classes and do MCAT in August or should I do one spring and one summer with MCAT in August? I could compress both courses in 6 weeks then have the rest of the summer to study full time. Or space it all out throughout summer and not waste 6 weeks of no mcat studying...

Strong hijack but personally I would get the 2 over with at once and then focus on the MCAT. You shouldn't need more than 2 months to study anyways. good luck

OP, everyone is going to tell you something different because we are all different - some of us can handle a full time job + MCAT (and even more) while others cannot. Personally, I couldn't pull it off. It sucks to rewrite as well.

I'd recommend doing Physics this summer + MCAT (since you need to know physics for MCAT anyway), and then English next summer + your research position. That seems more manageable to me. But is that an option?

Hi, I just want to tell you that no matter which method you choose, you will be successful if you dedicate fully to your plan.

Like the previous poster said, we're all different. I did the SN2D 3 months schedule while taking Orgo 1, working in a lab, and writing my M.Sc thesis. I ended up with a 35 on the MCAT. I guess I was able to do it because I knew exactly what I needed to work on. So, be confident in yourself and make the decision that you know is the best for you.

Good luck!!

Archived