Premed 101 Forums

My Chances and General Questions

So I was told to look into American schools before applying to International Schools.

Are American schools easier to get in compared to Canadian ones?

I have an average of almost 80%, which I believe translates to a 3.7.

My MCAT score is 34 (BS 12, PS 10, VR 12).

I applied to UBC this year and I don't see the possibility of increasing my AQ much as I am almost done my fourth year and extracurricular wise, there is no way I can increase my NAQ by enough to even grant me an interview.

But I was looking at the stats for some of the schools (not the intense ivy league ones) people have suggested and it seems very small number of international students actually even get an interview?

US schools are hard to get in to

the "low" gpa of american schools is deceiving and BS. American Medschools are harder to get into than canadian! PERIOD!

you have good stats, apply broadly and early

if it doesnt work, apply again with same states and add as many backups as you can, DO, IMG, EU, etc etc

if you dont get in theres not much you can do to improve that

I don't agree entirely with the two previous posts...look into American schools and apply to all that you meet the requirements for AND would actually consider going to. Applying to everything is a waste of time and money.

I also disagree that applying to the states is harder than Canada... it depends on the specific applicant. People with more rounded applications(letters, research, clinical experience, volunteering), but slightly on the lower side, are likely to do better in the states than Canada. I know several people who had no interviews in Canada but were accepted to US schools (some of them Ivy). do your research, and apply broadly (and EARLY-submit your primary app latest mid June)

You disagree the 34 MCAT is a good score for US MDs? It is a fine score, and that won't be the reason why the OP would potentially not get interviews.

Your stats are fine, getting an interview and acceptances will depend on your personality and ECs. And how you prepare yourself on paper(Personal statement).

And yes, apply only to schools you could see yourself attending, but dont be too picky either since its a crapshoot sometimes. Apply to at least 15 schools that take internationals, and reapply to Canada at the same time. You can get into good schools with your stats, AS LONG as you've done things outside of school.

• 3 weeks later...

That statement is BS. US Schools are not necessarily harder to get into than Canadian schools. The OP is more likely to get an interview at a US school than a Canadian school with that GPA and MCAT, unless he/she meet the two year GPA requirement for queens and western, which then means auto invite for interview.

For US schools, apply EARLY and broadly.

Hi there,

I'm wondering if it is worth completing Secondaries this late into the cycle for the two schools I have left - Jefferson and Einstein...

I only scored a 29 10P, 9VR, 10Bio but have very competitive ECs and two publications...

I feel it's bet to just save my applications for next cycle, but want some testimony from the horde...

thanks in advance

Hi there,

I'm wondering if it is worth completing Secondaries this late into the cycle for the two schools I have left - Jefferson and Einstein...

I only scored a 29 10P, 9VR, 10Bio but have very competitive ECs and two publications...

I feel it's bet to just save my applications for next cycle, but want some testimony from the horde...

thanks in advance

No idea about Jefferson but the interviews are wrapping up at Einstein within the next month or so.

You disagree the 34 MCAT is a good score for US MDs? It is a fine score, and that won't be the reason why the OP would potentially not get interviews.

Your stats are fine, getting an interview and acceptances will depend on your personality and ECs. And how you prepare yourself on paper(Personal statement).

And yes, apply only to schools you could see yourself attending, but dont be too picky either since its a crapshoot sometimes. Apply to at least 15 schools that take internationals, and reapply to Canada at the same time. You can get into good schools with your stats, AS LONG as you've done things outside of school.

I realize it's almost a month later but I was referring to your post about applying to all schools; OP has good shot but it's senseless to apply to all as you initially said.

Hi there,

thanks in advance

I also think it is far too late, unless you recently had a nature pub or something. Additionally, many schools have a deadline for the secondary (most that I saw were mid-late November).

Archived