Premed 101 Forums

Clinical experience only a few months before applying

Hi everyone - I've been pretty deep in research (medically relevant type) for the past 5 years (PhD student), and I want to get a good amount of clinical volunteer work under my belt prior to applying to American schools (which I want to do as early as possible because of rolling admissions). Would it reflect poorly on me if I only have clinical experience a few months before applying?

Thanks!

Hi everyone - I've been pretty deep in research (medically relevant type) for the past 5 years (PhD student), and I want to get a good amount of clinical volunteer work under my belt prior to applying to American schools (which I want to do as early as possible because of rolling admissions). Would it reflect poorly on me if I only have clinical experience a few months before applying?

Thanks!

Schools prefer consistent experiences in clinical settings but having some experience is better than no experience. Get started on it as soon as you can.

Schools prefer consistent experiences in clinical settings but having some experience is better than no experience. Get started on it as soon as you can.

yup, they might question how much you have thought about your decision to enter medicine, but some is definitely better than none

Archived