Premed 101 Forums

Advice for American Schools

MB19

omsas cGPA: ~3.85

American GPA: ~3.89 (from the scales I've seen used to convert Canadian to American GPA...not sure how accurate this is)

Science GPA: 3.86

MCAT 1: 12PS 8VR 10BS (30)

MCAT 2: 11PS 9VR 12 BS (32)

Canadian Citizen

ECs: worked in 3 different labs (~2 years total); 1 at an Ivy league school (not sure if that holds any more weight than a normal school), 1 abstract + 1 poster presentation, VP of a Global Health club, several years volunteering for a community charity, 5 years of tutoring, nursing home, worked for a moving company, contributor to online website that is run with a friend

I just want to know what American schools I should apply to because my chances are slim-to-none for anywhere in Ontario. Thanks for your input.

Hey! Not going to be super helpful on which US schools to apply to, but don't be so hard on yourself. Those are fairly completitive stats for Ontario, particulatly if you're SWOMEN for Western or live in Ottawa.

I wish I was Swomen :(. Also, I don't live in Ottawa. Unfortunately, my parents didn't read the med school guidelines when deciding where to raise me in Ontario. Thank you for the support. I think am only competitive at UofT, but it's hard to have all your hopes resting on one school.

those stats arent competitive enough in ontario? im definitely screwed then...

Well, there are 6 schools in Ontario.

1) Northern is extremely hard to get into unless you have rural connections.

2) Western, unless you're swomen, you need to get 11 on VR and so anything less automatically eliminates you.

3) Queens..although, there is no official MCAT cutoffs..through data over the years, it's generally accepted that you need at least a 10 in VR.

4) UofT provides some hope because you only need to meet the minimum MCAT (9 9 9) and if you are eligible for the weighting, that helps a lot

5) Ottawa-they don't require the MCAT, but the GPA of accepted applicants is really high

6) Mac-only requires VR, and is Z-scored, so a 9 really puts me at a disadvantage.

As you can see, a common denominator for eliminating applicants in most of these schools is VR, which is the major problem in my stats.

Well, there are 6 schools in Ontario.

As you can see, a common denominator for eliminating applicants in most of these schools is VR, which is the major problem in my stats.

Fortunately for you(maybe you already know this), American schools place more emphasis on the science subscores because they correlate with step 1 performance.

As for finding schools to apply to, buy and use the MSAR. Provides a good set of stats to see where you have a shot. Even attempts to summarize the ECs that the class has as a whole.

And of course, the motto of the American forum (should probably be put into a thread title and stickied): Apply broadly and early.

EDIT: Out of curiosity I searched for the article about the correlation between science subsores and Step 1 performance and couldn't find it, so it may be a myth I picked up from some forum. My interviewers seemed to support that notion though.

Fortunately for you(maybe you already know this), American schools place more emphasis on the science subscores because they correlate with step 1 performance.

As for finding schools to apply to, buy and use the MSAR. Provides a good set of stats to see where you have a shot. Even attempts to summarize the ECs that the class has as a whole.

And of course, the motto of the American forum (should probably be put into a thread title and stickied): Apply broadly and early.

I actually didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. I'll get a copy of the MSAR. Also, do you know when the applications for American schools open up? And I know many require English as a pre-req, but I am taking English this summer, so will I still be allowed to apply?

Also, do you know when the applications for American schools open up? And I know many require English as a pre-req, but I am taking English this summer, so will I still be allowed to apply?

The first day of submission was June 10th for this cycle, but that was with delays. I think submission was supposed to open June 1st. If possible, you want to have your application ready to submit on the day it opens, because verification times increase rapidly the later you submit - at one point in the cycle there was almost a two month delay.

As for taking english over the summer, I think you should be fine as you are completing the prerequisite prior to matriculation, which is all that really matters.

Archived